View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
jasonargo
GX Member

jasonargo is on a distinguished road
2002 Alero GX Coupe

Hi, I'm a new 2002 Alero GX owner, and here's my story (Hi Jason!). I went over a curb a few weeks ago with my 2001 Mustang, and the insurance company totalled it instead of repairing it. I really liked that car, but it was time to move on. I'm semi-retired (read: broke) and got less than $4k for the settlement on the Mustang. I'm not a mechanic, so used car shopping needed to include a (paid by me) trip to my mechanic for a check-out.

I drove a couple Monte Carlos that had obvious issues, and took a Grand Am GT to the mechanic with disastrous results (rust, leaks, gas tank hanging by a thread), so I was getting a bit frustrated. I was also finding a lot of folks not willing to let their cars be inspected, which was a deal breaker for me, especially in light of the GA results. And a lot of black cars for sale - who buys black cars in Texas?

I had previously owned a 1988 Grand Am which worked fine until I sunk a lot of bad money into engine replacements, so I knew the Alero was basically an Olds version of the GA. I even drove one during the car shopping I did back when I ended up with the Mustang.

I had spoken with the Alero owner early on, but he was pretty far out of town, which made the mechanic visit an issue. I called him back a week or so later, and it was still available, so I arranged for a drive. It turned out to be a (very) small used-car business. The story on the car was: it was traded in, one owner, great shape. It drove fine, body & interior were very nice, and the engine compartment was immaculate. I was negotiating a non-refundable $100 deposit to take it to the mechanic, but it was late in the day, which meant I would need to come back again the folllowing day early to take it. Plus needing to set up a ride home in case I returned it without buying it. But I had a good feeling about the car, so we worked out a 48-hour return option on a full purchase. I went to the bank, got the cash, & got the car.

I took it to the mechanic the next day, and all they could find was that it could use struts all around, and uneven tire wear indicating front-end alignment. Nothing earth-shattering, so I called the dealer and the deal was done. I think I may have overpaid slightly, but at $2200 plus TTL, I think I did ok. It's higher than KBB private party value, and at the upper end of dealer pricing.

So here's my new baby:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/15510116753/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/15510117003/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/16104037926/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

It has the 2.2 Eco-Tec engine, 187,500 miles, auto transmission, and supposedly an after-market exhaust system. I neglected to ask my mechanic about that while it was up on the rack, so no specifics. It has 18" Exel wheels with Yokohama 225/40/R18 tires, one of which has a plug in it. I just filled it up for the 1st time, so I have yet to check out the gas mileage. There is some wear in the back seat carpet, but there are floor mats for all 4 seats. It also has a dash mat in front. Power door locks, but no keyless entry, manual windows, ABS, anti-theft.

Issues:
I can't come up with a value on the wheels. No manufacturer site on the internet that I can find, only that they used to be sold by wheelmax.com, but wheelmax no longer lists the brand on their site. Not a good sign.

When idling in Drive with the brake depressed it has a low-end rumble/vibration, which disappears once you let up on the brake. Ideas?

It's nice to know there's a community to lean on if needed. Thanks for being here, and it's nice to be a member.

-
jasonargo is offline   Reply With Quote