Thread: Fuel Mileage
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #58
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by slalomking@Oct 25 2005, 07:02 AM
Wow, you guys w/ the over 30 MPGs (English units) should be estatic. My bone stock GL1 Ecotec w/ auto gets a rock steady 21.6-21.8 MPG in an 80/20 mix of suburban / interstate driving. Yes, I do 80 MPH on the interstate...but as an experiment, I held it to 65 for several weeks, and dismally found the MPG went 'up' from 21.6 to 21.9. Big deal.

I do all the maintainance stuff that helps MPGs...filters...oil, air pressure..yada yada....

I took it twice to the dealership. Ist time they said they replaced an electronic module or two and said 'it seems to run better'.

No change. Took it back.

THEN they showed me some reviews off the net from (as I recall) either Consumer Reports or Edmunds.com. The reviews were for an Ecotec auto Grand Am, getting...you guessed it...21.8 MPG.

They smiled, said 'your car is FINE', and handed the keys back to me.
Bastards.

So the obvious question is....how are you guys getting 30-40 MPG? I find this astounding, and frankly, something is not adding up w/ my car.

I hear ya, I get roughly 18-20 MPG depending. 22-24 MPG if I REALLY grandpa it around... I too took it into the dealership with the same basic result...NOTHING. Same with the other four things that I took it in for...worthless GM dealers...I could probably go on for days about them... I just gave up and figure I will have to build my own car to get it how I want it. From the brake system which I plan on replacing from pads to calipers to accumulator...everything, to the suspension, engine...I guess since they can't do anything about it, I will.

But honestly, I am stumped just like you...I do live at about 4500 ft if that makes any difference... I keep up on all maintenance oil changes, filter changes, tire pressure checks, etc. I don't worry about it to much though as I was getting 8-10 out of my truck...