Thread: Turbo
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #48
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, yeah, I can barely afford the mods as it is, much less the cost for equipment from a brand new model.

I think I'm going to go with germ's idea here:
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 24 2005, 08:18 PM
first of all, if a person were to have the ability to use their own hands then they can EASILY hit 12's for way less than 10k
you can get a turbo kit and run 12 psi (track only, w/ race gas) on a stock engine and get it to hit 12's.Â;-) you will need to beef up the tranny in order to do it regularly.
a decent tranny "kit" would cost less than 3000 and a decent tranny would cost less than 4000 and thats PUSHING the limits of what it would cost.
me personally, i have done all the work on my car myself and saved a lot of money and learned a lot in the process.
for the engine mods and turbo setup i have spent MAYBE 1750 and a tranny to hold 12's cost around 1500 installed
but keep in mind ive done a lot of trial and error work and having a setup like this and the power it has, expect to have some downtime to work on the car and tune the car.Â;-) no off the shelf PCM is going to work, your going to have to spend the loot on a Powertuner from DHP
I have done my own porting work, race builds, etc. I know some of the intricacies are different, but the concepts are basically the same. As I once said, I have more time than money
But as for a manual conversion, I dont see it happening.
Next up is to find a turbo setup, so I'll have to PM germ and find out how he got his parts and stuff down to under 1800 for the engine.

Next question, in the local paper there's a GM 4L60 tranny for sale for $150, any idea what it is or if it would work?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote