View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Big Poppa Naich)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>No, it is not done for the Alero yet... they have GA tunes up and selling... from partsforyourcar.com.

The alero one will be available soon, tuned for CAI and exhaust... but you will not have to bring your car in... you pay a core charge, and they ship out a freshly tuned computer. You then take yours out and send it to them, and swap in the reprogrammed in.

Then you need to get a CASE relearn done by a dealer.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by jturkey69+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jturkey69)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>nick........how could i explain why i needed a case re-learn done on my car that still has the warranty???...would this puter be undetectable as well?

i posted some questions for matt, but he seems to be pretty busy, as i havent heard from him yet.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich
I think that most places would be cool about it, remember, with the warranty, it's not your job to prove that a mod DIDN'T cause a problem... its their job to prove it did!
Quote:
Originally posted by jturkey69
well i do know that matt was gettin down 162 hp to the wheels...until his radiator let go, so im not really sure...i havent heard from him in awhile about this

so if memory serves right...usually you figure in 20% driveline loss...and our cars are rated at 180 hp?or is it 170...i forget
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoosoup
7-14HP at the wheels.

The power is equivelent to the ase but it's spread more evenly across the whole power band.
Where my ASE seems to lose on the low end, but has a nice bump from the mid to high end.
You should have a nice torque and hp gain from the bottom to the top with the DHP.
Quote:
Originally posted by jturkey69
exactly...due to the fact its tuned for cai and free flowing exhaust

but my question is...can you feel a difference with your ASE?
how much faster is it you think?
shift points?
top end?

thanxs for answering...i didnt know who had the ase chip so i could ask
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoosoup
I definitely feel a difference. It was a bigger gain than I had with just the exhaust alone. Say I'm cruising along at 25-30 miles an hour and kick the pedal down. That is where I notice the most difference. And where the stock has long drawn out smooth shifts, the ASE really bangs it into gear compared to stock. I haven't really pay'd all that much attention to the shift points. It doesn't seem to negatively affect performance, but it probably doesn't help much either. I've heard that the DHP might not shift quite as hard as the ase. I have to get a hold of a GA owner that lives by me so I can test his DHP modded car out.
The DHP also offers a coupl eof things that the ASE doesn't have. 1. Skip shifting 2. Your cooling fans run for a minute or two after you shut the car off.

I still haven't had a chance to test out the speed limiter.
Quote:
Originally posted by mfuller
Sorry, it's taken me so long to update you guys, but here goes - I'll try to answer all the questions I've seen thus far.

No, Alero calibrations are not officially done yet. I did forward Charles a list of VIN numbers and model years so he can sift through the year-to-year changes in the code. I haven't heard back from him in about 3 weeks, so I'll try to get a response from him this week.

That said, the gains from DHP and ASE are about the same. Both provide maybe 8HP or so (ASE's claims of 20HP are so ridiculous I don't even want to discuss it.). DHP manages shift firmness by throttle position and RPM; it varies throughout the entire range. DHP only commands firm shifts when you need them; I think it causes less wear on the transmission than ASE (and definitely better than the Autotrans Interceptor, which is garbage). I use stock shift points in my calibration because I think they work better, but the off-the-shelf cal will likely have shift points up about 200-300rpm over stock. The speed limiter is gone (of course), and the rev limiter is up to 6400rpm. The cooling fans for the radiator turn on at 187 degrees instead of 205, and they are on a 2-minute timer at key-off. DHP does a good job at smoothing out the power curve by adjusting fuel trims and timing advance through the entire rev range; ASE is more of a "canned" approach.
In short, driveability is vastly improved and the car pulls strong at any rpm, although the differences are most apparent over 4 grand. Another big plus the DHP is no down time (unlike ASE).
Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndAlero
maybe a question better asked of Matt... but since Matt has the headers on his car as well, is there a version (or will there be a version) available for someone with a CAI, headers, and exhaust??

I'd like to take advantage of everything I have on the car... not sure how much difference there will be between what Matt has currently and the "of the shelf, stock" version from DHP.
<!--QuoteBegin-Big Poppa Naich
@
i think matt is getting a custom tune....[/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-mfuller

The "off-the-shelf" version will be meant for cars with a CAI, cat-back exhaust, and a 180 thermostat. There is virtually no difference between my calibration and what everyone else will be able to buy - headers just allow a tad more timing advance, but the calibration is the same.[/quote]