View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
Now that I know what its called " hydrolock" I'm looking on Youtube and they all seem to be ok by doing this when Their engine gets flooded. Where/when do I have to worry about bending rods warped pistons etc? Is it over turning the engine minutes at a time trying to get the water out? this is when I would think it would happen, heat + no lube = bending/warping. Should I do it in say 10 sec intervals?

Yeah, it is hydrolocking. If you are worried about bending rods or valves it is now out of your hands because that would have already happened. If it is a manual car, then don't...DON'T try to push start on a gear.

Once you take the plugs out, you can crank to your heart's desire because it won't effect anything other than your battery. Just keep cranking until no more water flies out of the engine and then fit everything back, change the oil and filter again just to be sure and hope for the best.

When mine hydrolocked last September, I did this and just removed my injectors (diesel car) and cranked, then when everything was put back together it ran fine but had a slight bend in one rod from the initial suction of water.

If you need anything else, let me know buddy.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote