View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
phild1087
GX Member

phild1087 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
First thing I would do, is check that fluid level like fallout boy said. Sometimes, it's low of fluid and it acts up

When my car was having a hard time shifting into 4th (overdrive) it was because of the solenoid. I would be on the highway and it would be bucking between 1900 and 2200 RPM's until I slapped the gas pedal and it would fully engage into overdrive. I also had no 2nd gear.

The fix is not what you want to hear though.

When the solenoid is shot on these cars, it's easily a $1000 job to fix. It's so deep inside the transmission and is not really servicible (sp) at that point, it's better in the long run to get a new transmission.

My clutches for 2nd gear were totally wiped out. There was nothing left.

I bought a used transmission from a 2003 Grand Am GT (I wanted a better FDR in the car) with 21,300 miles for $250 and my mech installed it for another $1200. This was in December 2012. I just bought my house in Sept 2012 so it's not like I was swimming in money either, then again, I'm still not.

I did a little reading on solenoids after the previous post, and yeah, that's the feeling I was getting-- given the miles that are on this one and the wear and tear, she might as well get a new tranny if not just a new car.

Are the transmissions from the Grand Am the same ones? Are there any other cars with compatible transmissions?
phild1087 is offline   Reply With Quote