View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
Getrag F23 5spd swap Guide

Want your V6 99-05 N-body with a manual transmission? It's actually rather simple to be honest, this is just a guide and NOT a step by step how to

before you even start reading let it be known you WILL need a welder or be nice to a friend with one to make a front mount lol

PART'S LIST:
00-05 N-Body 4cyl 5speed parts(2.2 or 2.4)
-Axles
-Shifter and cables
-Clutch pedal
-Transmission mounts(rear and driver side)
-Clutch master cylinder
-Clutch slave cylinder
-4cyl 5spd subframe(saves you from making a 2nd mount for the driver side)

00-02 J-body parts(2.2 only NOT ecotec)
-Getrag F23 transmission
-Flywheel
-Clutch
-Flywheel and pressure plate bolts

Mounting transmission to your subframe
The J-body F23 has the holes for N-body 5spd mounts for the rear and driver side however the rear mount needs the holes tapped for some bolts pictured below

the N-body bolts are also slightly longer then they need to be, shortened roughly 1/4" and the first 1/2" or so of the bolts have no threads so don't worry about screwing them up while cutting shorter or I guess you can use a washer or 2

For the rear mount I recommend a poly insert meant for a 5spd J-body(95+) slides right in but the bolt for the N-body is slightly thicker so you need to drill the sleeve out slightly. I purchased mine from http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/ part #7515
J-body bushing in N-body mount and sleeve drilled out(15/32" drill bit)

hopefully you have a vice to clamp the sleeve in while boring it out and remember to go SLOW and use some sort of lubricant(wd40, liquid wrench etc)

Front mount needs to be custom made, this is what I'm running

transmission mounted to 4cyl 5spd subframe

Mounting clutch pedal and shifter/cables
I gutted everything except for the dash

Extremely hard to get a picture under the dash of the clutch pedal mounted but this is a picture of all the pedals from a 4cyl/5spd N-body, EVERY N-body has that big chunk of aluminum under the dash and you can kind of see how it mounts

mounted in car

highly recommended removing your PCM/holder to install the clutch pedal, I THINK it's the only way to do it with the dash in the car still...

shifter bolts right in with no modifications and shift cables come out the same hole as your auto shift linkage

clutch master cylinder needs a 1.25" hole drilled in the firewall

those 2 bolts are there from factory once you get your fusebox out of the way, do your best to center the hole and if off slightly don't worry about it as its rather simple to get a die grinder or dremel in there to do some slight trimming also those factory bolts will be to short to bolt the master cylinder on, bring 1 to the parts store and get some 1/4" longer

interior back together for the most part, I left the automatic brake pedal and cut it to fit the 5spd brake pedal rubber