View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #27
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Nobody asked the most important question: Was it fresh water or salt water.

Fresh water, yeah pull plugs and crank. You already did everything else. Salt water, don't bother, the salt will eat away at everything and the car is pretty much effed.

Talked to a lot of guys the spring after Superstorm Sandy at Raceway park. There was 25,000 cars at RP all from NYC. Exotics, antiques, DD's, you name it. All salt water damaged, all taken off and sent to the big junkyard in the sky. Then a few guys had flood cars from fresh water. Interiors had to be ripped out, dash boards, etc, but after drying out, these cars are back on the road. One car, a converitble, was full of sand, all the way up to the doors. That car had to weigh a few tons!

Not saying that's what you have here, but just to give you an idea

But if he gets it quick enough it might be fine, the engine itself that is, i hit 6"~ or so of salt marsh water at 70Mph with my old alero when we had torrential rain a couple years back (before you say it, yes it was midnight and there was no lighting, all the power was out) and all that ended up happening (after my CAI sucked a ton of water and the car nearly stalled) was my upstream O2 sensor corroded and gave a null reading. the engine was fine for another year or so after that until natural causes got to the rest of the car. I think for his location and how it happened i think it was fresh water and he should be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
Lurk much?

Nah, scrapped the Alero and bought a Fiesta ST. Looking for another Ho' though.