Thread: Gas Fumes
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Gas Fumes

The other day my wife asked me if I smelled gas fumes when we were parked but I did not at that time. Now I have been driving and randomly smelling gas and it freaks me out a bit. It seems to occur when I do city driving: a lot of stopping/going/heavier acceleration. I have not noticed any leaks nor do I smell any gas fumes coming from the exhaust (like I would if it were running rich maybe? But I have a CAI so I should be lean if anything...). Nor does the engine compartment smell of any fumes while running with the hood up.

I run 88 octane because the alternative is 86. My best theory is that I may have a leak at the top of the tank and the sloshing from city driving is causing spillage. Anyone have any other theories, sources or tests I could do to locate a leak? Or does heavy acceleration create a temporary gas fume from extra fuel injection? And when I say "heavy acceleration" I do not mean pedal to the medal-just 3-4k rpms to scoot in and out of traffic where I need to.