View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
For my money, I have four suggestions.

1) Forget a CAI. What you HAVE is a cold air intake already. Just use a good low-restriction high-filtration filter in it. It's not the restriction. If you want the "mmMRRRRRRROAR!" of a CAI, you can get a toned down version by removing the snorkel between the driver's fender and the driver's side inner fender liner.

2) Good oil. I cannot emphasize how much good oil helps these cars. Me? I was running Motorcraft SynthBlend 5W20 in my Malibu (with the sister 3100 motor), and when it died, it was NOT the oil that did it in.

3) Keep it tuned up. That includes plugs, wires, coil packs if necessary, filters, PCV valves, etc.

4) Keep a STRONG eye on pressurized parts, such as the surge tank (passenger side fender, inside the engine bay, where you add coolant.) THAT cracking is what killed my Malibu, alas.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote