Thread: Gas Fumes
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #40
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Well, I'm getting pretty nervous. Looked under the car but could not see anything out of the ordinary pertaining to the lines and such that I could see, but I have an added problem to this whole fume thing: my car won't start.

It cranks and cranks and cranks but it is cranking longer and longer without starting. At times, it starts but runs very rough as though only half the cylinders are running and usually stalls out soon after. Seems more like a cough cough wheeeze...like it is choked. It first started after driving through a puddle, slowly, but a sizely puddle. I figured that maybe some of my wires may have some damage so I replaced the spark plugs and wires. No change-if anything it is getting worse.

I did some searching: my fuel filter probably only has 25k on it and is changed yearly (in fact I am getting ready to do this year's change soon). I turn the key on and I can hear the pump buzz on, no security light, no service engine lights, a mechanic hooked it up and said the fuel pressure is fine (don't have the numbers) and two mechanics have yet to find a leak nor have I. My money is on a fuel pump but I don't know.

How this links with gas fumes? I get out of work tonight, it is cold, but not colder than the multiple Ohio winters this car has been through in the past. I try to start it up and just keep cranking it forever until I almost resign to call my wife and have her pick me up because the battery won't last forever. Luckily, it starts and I drive to get some gas because I am low. Fill the tank up, have to crank for a while again to start her up but not quite as long.

When fully started she runs and idles great. I get home without any event and pull into my garage, shut the door and go inside to shower. Come back downstairs and the gas fumes are so strong that we can smell them coming under the cracks of two doors from our garage. Hot damn! No one can find a source of the problem and the car computer sure as heck isn't pointing me in any direction...at this rate I figure I will blow up at some point.