View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I tried to re-align the turbo manifold v-band to the turbine inlet v-band. They were offset significantly. I was able to line up the flanges so the exterior circumference of them were inline., and while everything is lined up reasonably well, and clamping felt better, there's still a large gap visible on the rear. The other 2 gaps in the clamp where you can view alignment seem decent but not super squeezed.

I think it's because one or both flanges are warped, either from welding, or from driving it an hour home with the flanges misaligned. So that sucks. I was trying to fix it myself but I hate dealing with other people's shitty work on v-bands. Everything is so cramped and tight fit it needs to be perfect. If they can't get it to seal that means some new v-band welding is in order and a huge costly remove and reinstall. Possibly a new turbine housing from TiAl if that one is warped. Yay. I just want my shit to work. No one seems to be able to do quality work.

Dude's just like "yeah man I deck everything I do on this belt sander" yeah that's not the right way to make shit flat.
Or how about his "I always tighten flanges from the outside in (outer most bolts inward)" which is the exact OPPOSITE of how you're supposed to do it. Start with the center screws/studs and move out.

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote