View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
Koots
GX Member

Koots is on a distinguished road
A custom ECU tune should get you the gain you want, even easier if you stick to a strict 91 Octane tune (power can still be made on 87 Octane). Even just tightening up the shifts and pressures in the transmission can make a nice change. That's all I've gotten the chance to change with HP Tuners on my 99' and it was noticeable how much more aggressive the transmission was (still kept all the stock torque management though). The car is still getting ready for the road, so my test drives were limited to the small dirt road next to my house. So I didn't make any fuel/spark changes. Currently going over the rear brakes and have to fix the power steering and I'll start logging my changes with HP Tuners for the benefit of the Board.

The best option would be an in-person tune done on a dyno, then just an in-person tune, finally our last option would be a mail order custom tune, which is still better than a handheld programmer like a Superchips (not that they make those for our Alero's).

But it sounds like something isn't quite right with your engine, I'd see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) stored in the ECU by using a scan tool, then try running some fuel system cleaner through your fuel tank. I like to run slightly higher concentrations than they recommend if the engine feels sluggish. Something like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil have had the most noticeable effect for me, from most generic fuel system cleaners. MMO also lubricates, so it helps quiet the in tank fuel pumps as well and lubricate the top end.

If that doesn't help at all and your engine is working as it should and it's just the stock power you are disappointed in, then a tune will wake it up like you want.
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote