View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #36
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
Ok guys, I have a question...I may be on to something. Can the throttle cable "stretch"? I noticed some "play" in the cable at idle, and we kept saying it was sounding like maybe the "butterfly" was closed too much and choking it out. So I took a piece of vacuum hose and sliced it down the center and put it over the accelerator cable (so that there was more tension from the get-go). And wala.....the car starts without me having to put my foot on the gas and idles beautifully (just under 1k), smooth and quiet. Now, obviously this is a "band-aid", but could it be the throttle cable? What else could be the "real" problem? Please see attached picture for the temp solution.

If it is, that would be the throttle plate clearance I mentioned. It has an adjustable stop, but you can not open it up so far that the TPS reads more than zero degrees when closed. Hence also why some plates have a hole drilled.

Also, the throttle cable does not hold the plate open at idle, it should have a tiny bit of slack.

Last edited by AleroB888 : 05-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote