Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
installing stb

so ive got a pair of stb coming in the mail, and ive got a question on installing them. ive used every combination of key words to search but cant find what im looking for. there was, at one point (i think), a thread discussing whether to leave the car on the ground, or to jack it up and have the suspension hanging freely when installing the stb. i really dont know what the advantage to lifting it up would be, but it was argued at one point, and there must have been a reason. if anyones got an answer, or can find that thread let me know. thanks.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
The argument would be that by installing the stb while the car is suspended properly it will become 'pre-loaded' when the car sets down and maintain unibody alignment better (the struts push inward when supporting the car).

It depends upon what kind you are installing. Most tube type can be width adjusted while installed by turning like a turn-buckle, while the 'solid' ones commonly just have bolts in slotted holes to adjust the width (not real secure). The ones I have are heavy bar stock with threaded ends so I was able to 'pre-load' until the struts moved 1/4" away from each other to eliminate any minor flex.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
whiterider00
GLS member

ok. i think that answers my question. but now i have another one. if i were to lift the car in order to install the stb, would that have any affect on the geometry of the suspension, in other words, would it require me getting an alignment afterwards?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I am assuming you mean strut braces when you use 'stb'. If you mean the anti-sway bars the issue is somewhat different (rear is easy, front can be tough).

As long as you don't loosen any of the strut bolts your alignment shouldn't change at all. Most braces just use two of the top bolts, so no problem. Mine used all three but then again, nothing should move around while it just sits there so no problem.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
whiterider00
GLS member

ya, im talking about the strut tower braces, sorry about that. and i figured it wouldnt need an alignment afterwards, but you never know. thanks for the help.