Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
OpalaAlero

Or is there no such thing? i want a good exhaust, I just don't have a lot of money right now.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Illarin

Find a local shop and get a custom setup done, should run you around there.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
OpalaAlero

I called and they said they sell mufflers for around $100-200 bucks. Now, I just got my car a few months ago and know nothing about cars. What exactly is the muffler? Is that the exhaust itself?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
buy the muffler online, and just have them do the welding and bending... it will be cheaper that way.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Naich
The Founder

the muffler is the part of your exhaust system that looks like a big box... it's quite a bit wider than the pipes going into and out of it. It's there for several reasons... to filter out some fumes and to deaden the sound. a "catback" exhaust consists of the muffler and all the tubing from the catalytic converter to the tips. You probably want to get a catback system installed, not just the muffler.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
OpalaAlero

that would probably be expensive, right?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
3.4Alero

I had a custom catback system done for my car. 2.5 inch stainless exhaust (stock is 2.25 inch) with a Magnaflow muffler. Cost was $300.00. I love it.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Illarin

My catback was about 350$, but I also made the mistake of not buying my flowmaster online. The muffler ended up costing me an arm and a leg through the shop.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
wy3134

The flowmaster exhaust numbers (aka 40 or 50) refer to what? sound or performance?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:46 PM   #10
nex

dude no offence, but if you dont know what the exhaust is and what the muffler is? then why replace it? honestly?!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #11
OpalaAlero

Because I want my car to be better. When I turned 16 and got my car I knew nothing about them...never had in intrest until I could start driving.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:10 AM   #12
Naich
The Founder

How are you supposed to learn if you never try anything? Not everyone is exposed a lot to the mechanical aspects of cars as kids. Although I learned a lot about car maintenance when I was a kit, I knew very little about car performance and styling untill I started this site, and while I'm still no expert, I feel that my car IQ has increased greatly.

Go for it man, you won't be disapointed. I highly reccomend saving a little and getting the SLP... if not for anything else it is stainless steel and the pipes are mandrel bent. But Flowmasters and Magnaflows are both nice.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 AM   #13
Oldsmopimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Feb 14 2004, 05:10 AM
Although I learned a lot about car maintenance when I was a kit,
a kit?? lol, i thought it was a funny typo... Anywho he is right, learn all that you can....you wont regret it. And I agree to save up for an SLP if u already lookin to spend 300. Plus, if u cant install it yourself I would think it would be less $$$ in labor to have the SLP system(borla, or whoevr else manufactures one)) installed rather than having a shop custom make your setup.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #14
OpalaAlero

I am, but I just think its ridiculous that when someone asks a question that might be conceived as stupid by people that know a lot about cars, they end up getting made fun of.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #15
3.4Alero

Please don't get discouraged. You're right, if you don't ask you won't learn. One piece of advice: try the search button first if you are looking for info. It may answer your question, and you'll learn something new!