Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
DeeJayy
GX Member

DeeJayy is on a distinguished road
Anybody know this?

I have no idea what this is or what it does but some of the tubes come off really easily and loose. Someone told me thats why when my car idles after i start it kind of revs up and down so it might be a vacuum leak? Here's the pic

DeeJayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
I believe that would be part of your smog pump setup. Don't really know much about them its a California/ New York thing. It has something to do with emissions.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayy View Post
I have no idea what this is or what it does but some of the tubes come off really easily and loose. Someone told me thats why when my car idles after i start it kind of revs up and down so it might be a vacuum leak? Here's the pic

Would you please move that? that's where a supercharger has to go
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Would you please move that? that's where a supercharger has to go

Lol i wish!! i got about 30$ in my bank account hahaha. But seriously, does anyone know?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Lol i wish!! i got about 30$ in my bank account hahaha. But seriously, does anyone know?

I think it is a "smog pump," emission control device, it really complicates things, because all the extra tubing on it and hard lines have to be leak free. But also investigate the other vacuum hoses, replace them if they look bad or come off easily.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
mfuller

It's a part of the A.I.R. injection system.
Helps to reduce emissions.
Normally found on CA cars (and sometimes Northeast cars).
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
.... and usually programed to only be in play at "start up" and "idle". The air injected into the system is to fire the cat early after cold starts. Faster you can ignite the cat, the lower the overall emmisions of the vehicle

Last edited by MMGT1 : 02-07-2013 at 06:39 AM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
DeeJayy
GX Member

I see now... are those supposed to be loose? lol
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Seorsum
GX Member

Seorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond reputeSeorsum has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I see now... are those supposed to be loose? lol

They come off really easy in my car too. That one that you have circled and the one near the firewall and distributor. They've never come undone unintentionally for me, so I'd say you're safe.
Seorsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seorsum View Post
They come off really easy in my car too. That one that you have circled and the one near the firewall and distributor. They've never come undone unintentionally for me, so I'd say you're safe.

Kinda figured. I checked those back ones and they're the same. Oh well lol
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
My 1999 V6 Alero does not have this. It looks aftermarket to me. having said that, I'm guessing all the people above me saying that it is CA related are probably right.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
It's part of the AIR system. part of the Cali/NE emissions package.

My car used to have it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote