Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
aleroguy
GX Member

aleroguy is on a distinguished road
Curious....

I've been wondering for a while why/whats the point to having low gears (3,2,1) on cars? Anybody know?
aleroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
to help on icy roads, going up and down hills, towing (some people tow things with their alero)

me personally I have used 1 gear several times to go down a steep icy hill so I didn't have to use my brakes......used 3 and 2 a couple times coming down the continental divide so I didn't have to burn up my brakes as well....
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
I can lauch in 2nd, but 3rd and up really roasts a clutch. And below 20mph I'll chug and stall in 4th.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
i think he means 3 2 1 on the automatic...

and it just prevents the car for shifting for whatever reason...
on my old car... it was rwd with a shift kit... drove home on a road that was so icy that when the car shifted, the back end would kick out... so just drove in 3 to avoid overdrive... but mostly what kwhauck said

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel6632 View Post
i think he means 3 2 1 on the automatic...

I know what he meant but like my mom always said "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer." Or in that case, don't bother typing a complete question and get the question you actually ask answered.

Automatic transmissions allow you to control, or "lock" into lower gears so you have a little more control. Like others have said, going down steep hills you'll overheat your brakes and not be able to stop by the time you hit the bottom if you don't pull it down a couple gears. When towing a trailer you'll probably also want to take it out of overdrive to get a little more torque and just to avoid the trans constantly hunting and having to downshift against every puff of wind.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslindseysue View Post
I know what he meant but like my mom always said "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer." Or in that case, don't bother typing a complete question and get the question you actually ask answered.

Automatic transmissions allow you to control, or "lock" into lower gears so you have a little more control. Like others have said, going down steep hills you'll overheat your brakes and not be able to stop by the time you hit the bottom if you don't pull it down a couple gears. When towing a trailer you'll probably also want to take it out of overdrive to get a little more torque and just to avoid the trans constantly hunting and having to downshift against every puff of wind.

why i love standards
Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
i dunno but if your brakes ever fail like on my friends grand am its good to have like that, he threw it down in to first, witch slowed the motor enough so he could swerve teh car that made a random stopp, was close adn scary as shit
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
aleroguy
GX Member

Those make sense.... I suppose it could also be do to that's how all motors have been made since they started building engines way back when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslindseysue View Post
I know what he meant but like my mom always said "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer."

Hey!! my teacher told me there is no such thing as a stupid question.... guess he was wrong....
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Actually, an engine doesnt care wihich gear you are in. He doesnt have nothing to do with it. An engine gives you an amount of revolution per minutes and a given power for each rpm value. When coupled to a gear, you can change the ratio at which the engine revs for a certain speed value.

the 1,2,3 and up gears are just different sized gears to use. Actually, nowadays you have CVT transmissions that makes the engine always work in its peak performance depending of the situation. Basically, a CVT is a transmission that gives an "unlimited" amount of gears so that speed can rise, but rpm stays the same, kinda.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
CVT is cool... I've been wanting to drive a car with one for a while now, but haven't gotten the chance.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i almost bought an ION with it. (i was looking at that, or the alero)

its.. different. i'd rather feel the shift. i know what speed i'm going at each shift point on my car. i'd hate to have to actually LOOK at how fast i'm moving.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Selecting a gear in the Alero only prevents it from upshifting. It will still downshift. It will even still upshift if you bounce it off the limiter enough.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
start from first and pretend ur driving stick
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
yes it is possible, but doing this all the time would put unnecessary wear and tear on the transmission. If you have auto, the only time you should really be using the 1,2,3 gears is for ice and hills.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
Golden Alero
GX Member

Golden Alero is on a distinguished road
haha i do what heineck says maybe why my aleros dead and gone now =[
Golden Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
aleroguy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post

funny, I'll have to try that sometime!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
99-alero
GL Member

99-alero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
CVT is cool... I've been wanting to drive a car with one for a while now, but haven't gotten the chance.

it sucks ass! my dads ford freestyle has it , drives me insane , and my staurn ion had it , boring as hell to drive, sounds like a leave blower at WOT
99-alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat View Post
yes it is possible, but doing this all the time would put unnecessary wear and tear on the transmission. If you have auto, the only time you should really be using the 1,2,3 gears is for ice and hills.

yea i was joking i did that for a little while but i think thats y my trannys having trouble shifting over nowadays
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
is CVT better in performance? or economy wise? might be a dumb question...
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #20
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
CVT is good in theory, but the problem (at least for us), is you lose the feel of the shifts, plus you usually can't add any power to them or...POOF... My friend has a '10 Lancer ES with the CVT and they basically said you can put an exhaust on the car or Mitsubishi's "turbo" that runs 3 or so psi (yawn), but anything else is likely to stress the transmission beyond tolerance.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote