Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Antics14086
GX Member

Antics14086 is on a distinguished road
What to look for?

Well as I mentioned in my intro I'm going to look at a 1999 4dr Alero tonight. I believe it's a GLS since it has polished wheels and leather interior. It also has the 3400 engine. The car is the Teal kinda color, with tan leather interior.

I see a rust spot on the bottom of the passenger fender, and it appears to have a spot behind the drivers side rear door. Otherwise, a few scuffs on the bumper which should buff out no problem. The seller is Asking $1500, and according to KBB, the car books between $2750 and $3450

I wanted to ask the pros what are a few things I should look for in the specific vehicle? We do use salt up here in NY for the winter, so the underside will be checked, but anything specific?

As for the engine, I've heard most GM 3100/3400/3800 engines suffer the LIM gasket leak at some time, and I just finished replacing them on my girlfriends 96 Monte with the 3100.

So aside from all the basics, what're some common things I should look for when I go check this car out tonight?

Thanks in advance
Antics14086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Check the oil lid see if it has a milky white coating under it. This will signify a limg leak. Which sucks
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
^ That and these cars have issues with speed sensors going bad in the hub. Also the hazard light button needs to be replaced if the turn signals act funny. Rust is kind of an issue with most aleros (unless you live in states with no snow or ones that use sand instead of salt). The QTRs like to rust and yea the bottom of the fenders. A lot of times the rust starts under the rocker cover and just spreads up...so it could be worse under the cover. I hate how NY just coats the roads with salt.....SAND FTW!!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
for $1500 you cant go too wrong.

these cars go though wheel bearings pretty good, just gotta see if theres play in them to tell. also if you can drive the car, abs, brake light will be on. usualy.

inside brake pads usualy get eaten too. once again not a big issue.

as mentioned: hazard switch.

as mentioned: LIM gasket

check fuse panels in dash for signs of water leaks. windshields are known to leak

check window operatoins. if it has electrics, the sashes are known to brake and the window wont work right

as menitoned: rust!

check the spare tire area for signs of water. had mine leak in and fill up once

see if the secruty light is on.

check rear brake lines that run under the drivers rear floor, check them and make sure they are not rusted to hell near the fuel filter and where the passenger side crosses over

check fuel lines at fuel filter for condition of rust

front strut tops are known to bind

all four strut tops are known to "clunk-clunk" over bumps when old.

i think i covered it??? pretty rubust cars though.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah i think you got it man.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
inside brake pads usualy get eaten too. once again not a big issue.

x2! Although it was a big issue for me cause i had aftermarket wheels on and the single piston couldn't handle them so i went with 98-02 camaro calipers and rotors. MUCH BETTER. But yea....Graham pretty much covered the issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Antics14086
GX Member

Antics14086 is on a distinguished road
That was a major disappointment :-/. He only took good angle pictures so it didn't show a smashed up hood, it ran a little rich, but he has a massive oil leak on the passenger side valley, and a large coolant leak from the LIM.

And the leak was ongoing for quite a while, the underside of the oil cap was baked on coolant.

Thank you all for the help, it's been much appreciated.
Antics14086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Bob
GX Member

Bob is on a distinguished road
Thanks very helpful I am thinking of getting a 1997 sedan 6 cylinder Dark Green Door states 1997 However on information I could find out just goes back to 1998 They are asking 1,500 for it Any info on year
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Thanks very helpful I am thinking of getting a 1997 sedan 6 cylinder Dark Green Door states 1997 However on information I could find out just goes back to 1998 They are asking 1,500 for it Any info on year

doesnt even go to 98. aleros are ONLY 99-04. NO EXCEPTIONS, may have been BUILT in 98, but its still a 99. if it truly is older, its not an alero.