Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Doc
GX Member

Doc is on a distinguished road
Wheels...

Anyone tried Impala wheels?

I just really dislike the "Universal Fit" wheels that have multiple sets of holes, and I like the looks of these, plus they're a 16" to replace my 15" & I should be able to get a brake upgrade under them, my pads & rotors are all right as to size & amount of pad left, but there's warpage & pedal pulse when I apply the brakes & I HATE that!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=380179639499
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impala Wheels.jpg (18.2 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by Doc : 06-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
5 x 115 (5 x 114.3) bolt pattern with a +40mm offset. same exact thing as 16" Alero wheels

Please don't say "unverisal" wheels there is no such thing and it makes me sick to hear that

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 06-23-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Anyone tried Impala wheels?

I just really dislike the "Universal Fit" wheels that have multiple sets of holes, and I like the looks of these, plus they're a 16" to replace my 15" & I should be able to get a brake upgrade under them, my pads & rotors are all right as to size & amount of pad left, but there's warpage & pedal pulse when I apply the brakes & I HATE that!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=380179639499

I put one of those (mounted with a tire) on a scale and was impressed with the light weight, a few pounds less than my stock alero 16" combos. I would sure use them in place of the Malibu 15's that I have now....
Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Doc
GX Member

Non-Universal wheels...

You are right of course, I should more accurately have said Multi Bolt-pattern wheels, I just hate the extra set of holes... otherwise I'd likely use something like this is a 17"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mbmfix_sm_ang.jpg (22.5 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
can i ask why you hate multi bolt pattern wheels?
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
personally I wouldn't. For the price, get an aftermarket set of rims instead of something that will look like you pulled it off another car in the junk yard. Just my .02

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Doc
GX Member

I don't really know how to describe it , but the multi paterns bug me, I got no prob pulling a set from a wrecking yard, $30 ea is hard to argue with, and I like the look...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised nobody mentioned anything about your pulsing and warpage. That is not normal. It could be your pads are wearing unevenly because of a bad caliper or your rotors are infact warped (could have been cheap replacements, or could have been caused by hard stopping, cold hard braking, replacing pads without resurfacing rotors, etc). I have looked at rotors before that looked fine but were actually warped. You should bring them into autozone or the like and have them measure them (they call it mic'ing). It's free, and it will let you know whats going on with them.

Sometimes perceived problems with the front brakes can also actually be worn out rear brakes. Keep that in mind.

Anyway, good luck with whatever wheels you decide to do. I would advise fixing your brakes before getting new rims however. Bigger rims are not going to fix the pedal pulsing. And since your going up a size in wheels, all your tires will need to be replaced as well.

miles as of 04/23/10
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_bmxer View Post
can i ask why you hate multi bolt pattern wheels?

If the holes aren't covered up I think they look nasty.

You can also check on the wheels from an Equinox or Torrent. They are available in 17 and 18.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Doc
GX Member

Quote:
Bigger rims are not going to fix the pedal pulsing. And since your going up a size in wheels, all your tires will need to be replaced as well.

I know that the wheels aren't causeing the pulsing, that's a brake issue especially given that it only happens when applying the brakes ... I'm just thinking that if I need to spend on the brakes anyway, might as well do it on upgrade brake parts as stockers, and that would require the larger rims for clearance...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
So when you say brake upgrade, are you talking about a big brake upgrade or just replacing your existing brake setup with a newer OEM one? The reason I ask is because if I remember correctly, you need either a large internal diameter 17" or 18" wheels to accomplish that and 16" wheels won't give you the clearance.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Doc
GX Member

Actually most of the OEM 16" will clear the 12" rotor setups...
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Doc
GX Member

I did find that the pedal pulse issue was that a dpo replaced the pads without rotors on a BADLY worn set of rear rotors, the outside surface looked good, but the hidden inner surface was very rough, best rotors from napa & best pads from Autozone(best price @ warranty & I pass both daily) plus 30 min and problem is gone...