Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
bigdoug42
GX Member

bigdoug42 is on a distinguished road
timing chain question

Hi all, new to this site, lots of good advice, been lurking for awhile. My question is this: can (or should) I reuse the camshaft sprockets and the gear on the crankshaft when I replace the chain? I know V8's usually come with the gears as part of the package, not so with a twin cam 2.4. I'm doing a head gasket replacement @140000 miles, started leaking into #1 cylinder and burning off in the exhaust. so I bit the bullet and tore it down. Had the head cleaned up and checked, milled.006, valves all good, going to replace the water pump, T-stat, all hoses, (all original) and the timing chain. I know this seems like a simple question, but I have looked far and wide on the web and can't seem to find an answer. I plan on driving this until the wheels fall off. All in all it has been a damn good car, bought it new in 2001. Thanks in advance for any advice.
bigdoug42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, you reuse them. Absolutely no reason not to.

#1 seems to be the cylinder of choice, that's where mine leaked both times.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
you can reuse. I would check for excessive wear on the gears. Also check to see how much slop is in the keyway on the crank gear.

You can get the whole chain kit which comes with tensioner, shoe, guides, chain and gears.

if you buy the whole kit and want a piece of mind replace the gears. it is easy.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
bigdoug42
GX Member

bigdoug42 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply, The gear is tight on the crankshaft, no slop, and I cant see much wear if any on the sprockets or gear. The guides are good, tensioner is good, will replace the tensioner shoe. Heres A pic; B4 any cleaning..at least cylinder #1 doesn't need any cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0270 resize.jpg (80.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by bigdoug42 : 03-26-2011 at 02:26 PM.
bigdoug42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It is entertaining how well coolant cleans your engine. Might as well sucks some through a vacuum line instead of Seafoam haha
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure the bearings will love you for that
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote