Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Ralero15
GX Member

Ralero15 is on a distinguished road
AH!! My poor subwoofer...

I just got a really good deal on a full system. not sure if theyre 2 10" or 2 8" subs, but theyre of different brands. one's a kicker and another is a pioneer and theyre both rated at 400w and 8 ohms. It came with a 1200w amp, but eh while my friend was helping me install the kicker, he accidentally drilled one the screws surrounding too hard slipped and made a really small hole in the subwoofer...idk how badly thatll affect the performance, but i wanted to know id theres anyway for me to fix it? I heard that duct tape from behind the woofer would work but idk...any suggestions? btw how do you remove the dash so i can wire the system up to the factory cd player?

Last edited by Ralero15 : 09-03-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Ralero15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralero15 View Post
I just got a really good deal on a full system. not sure if theyre 2 10" or 2 8" subs, but theyre of different brands. one's a kicker and another is a pioneer and theyre both rated at 400w and 8 ohms. It came with a 1200w amp, but eh while my friend was helping me install the kicker, he accidentally drilled one the screws surrounding too hard slipped and made a really small hole in the subwoofer...idk how badly thatll affect the performance, but i wanted to know id theres anyway for me to fix it? I heard that duct tape from behind the woofer would work but idk...any suggestions? btw how do you remove the dash so i can wire the system up to the factory cd player?
Well the first thing, I wouldn't mix subs anyway but to each his own ,because even though they are rated the same they will have different performance levels, and won't sound the same. Also it's easy to measure...grab a tape measure and go from side to side. Now as for the hole in the sub..from personal experience I put a hole in one of mine and it didn't dampen the performance at all, at least not an audible amount, but with that being said it also depends on where the hole is located if it is in the area of the rubber spring then you could have problems in the future, and if it is in the cone part of the sub then maybe not at all. I think there is a more in depth thread about taking the dash apart but to put it simply all you have to do is first (1)take the shift knob off by pulling the metal clip out of the front of it. (2) Pull the bottom part with the cup holder up and over the shift shaft you'll have to disconnect some cables but they are all easy. (3) The area around the factory radio is just held in by clips be careful and pop these out and whala! You'll see the screws holding the factory radio in on either side its a piece of cake really. Just thinking about this....but you really don't have to do all that you could just use a converter off of your speaker wires in the back and go directly to your amp. Those are only like 20.00 and are a sinch to wire you can get them at any automotive place, from walmart, target, any place that sells radios really. Hopes this helps someone else could probably get more in depth!!
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Dont wire them up into one channel...

Simply put some silicone over the surround.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
The-Ghost
GX Member

The-Ghost is on a distinguished road
NEVER SILICONE A SURROUND.

the silicone contains chemicals that can DAMAGE the surround. if the sub is on the box as the silicone drys. so imagine what putting silicone on the surround would do
The-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ah well...

If its foam use shoe goo

If its rubber type material silicone is just fine
Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Ralero15
GX Member

ill try the shoe goo, btw, its almost done with the wiring, thanks for the info! it was pretty simple but annoying and time consuming, haha. i just have one last question. I cant use the factory CD Player, can I? Because I have the L and R RCA wires from the sub and the factory cd player doesnt have anywhere to plug em into. is there an adapter i can use? if not i have another Cd Player but i really dont wanna have to go through all that wiring again to make it work...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
they make an adaptor to wire into your speaker lines at the stereo and it converts it to rca outputs. Don't know the specific name.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Ralero15
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
they make an adaptor to wire into your speaker lines at the stereo and it converts it to rca outputs. Don't know the specific name.

ah well at least that confirms that such an adapter exists. now i just needa see how much they cost and where to get one...btw i didnt choose 2 different subs, my cousin sold em to me like that, for cheap i might add. ima sell the system in a few months-year prolly tho.

EDIT: never mind i re-read the thread and did a search, i know what i need. its called a line output converter, and lonnie mentioned it earlier but i was confused about what he was saying. i think ill finish this project thursday hopefully!! if the performance is weird, i might sell a sub and buy another to match the 2nd sub. but i dont want it to come down to that...

Last edited by Ralero15 : 09-04-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
ah well at least that confirms that such an adapter exists. now i just needa see how much they cost and where to get one...btw i didnt choose 2 different subs, my cousin sold em to me like that, for cheap i might add. ima sell the system in a few months-year prolly tho.

EDIT: never mind i re-read the thread and did a search, i know what i need. its called a line output converter, and lonnie mentioned it earlier but i was confused about what he was saying. i think ill finish this project thursday hopefully!! if the performance is weird, i might sell a sub and buy another to match the 2nd sub. but i dont want it to come down to that...
Sorry about that man I couldn't think of the name of that to save my life when I was writing that. Well good you know what you need now, and again its a piece of cake. Also when I first did my system I had two different subs and not only didn't I like the way it looked but I didn't feel like they were on the same level....just an FYI.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Ralero15
GX Member

well uhh today i tried out the system in my friends car and i found out one of em was blown. eh oh well.. damn i have a ghetto system but the kicker with the tiny hole in it is LOUD! it shook the whole car on its own...but that ws in my friends car...now i needa put it in the alero and see what it does...and maybe replace the blown one...lol
Old 09-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
well uhh today i tried out the system in my friends car and i found out one of em was blown. eh oh well.. damn i have a ghetto system but the kicker with the tiny hole in it is LOUD! it shook the whole car on its own...but that ws in my friends car...now i needa put it in the alero and see what it does...and maybe replace the blown one...lol
Is it the voic coil thats smoked or did it just blow the wire off where it is soldered? If so just resolder. You could sell the kicker and put the money towards a matching set. Oh you could go to www.mycarjams.com and pick something up until you can do better. They have some decent stuff, don't let the names fool you. My bro in law bought a 15 from here and the thing blew the lid off his trunk. Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
Ralero15
GX Member

voice coil...i sold the system to one of my friends today, cuz he really wanted it and i wasnt dont installing it in my car yet, and decided to sell it cheap to him... i still have a 1200w magnavox amp lying around tho....idk if ima sell it or hang on to it and but another system