Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
new/ very weird issue with car, possible wiring

this issue i see when it rains very hard and possibly because of the water leak issue i seen in this thread http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63

ok here is the scenario....
i first noticed it about a month ago when it rained very hard that particular night. the next morning i went to work and noticed the front carpet on both sides was soaking wet, i couldnt figure out how, then i noticed that the head liner was soaked and dripping. so i checked the top of the windshield and sure enough the molding was loose(not firm against the roof). so i did a quick fix, sealed it with some silicone hoping that it would at least keep the water from entering the car from that gap between the molding of the windshield and the roof.
the issue at this point was when i made it to work. i turned the car off and pressed the key fob to lock the doors at about 25 yards away and went about my day at work. well one of my co-workers tells me that my car is in the lot pounding with music and all the lights were on but i wasnt in it. so i ran out to check and yep i hear the music and seen the lights and thought "am i trippin????, i know i turned the car off when i got out?.?.?" well i unlocked the car and seen the OIL LIGHT, THE BATTERY LIGHT AND THE RADIO on but the ignition was off and the keys were in my hand. so i was really trippin and thought there was a ghost haunting me. lmao... so what i did was turn the car all the way on and waited for a bit, then i turned the car off again, got out and locked the door with the key fob the same way i always do, but was standing next to the car to see what happened... and sure enough WHEN I HIT THE KEY FOB the radio turned on and all the lights came on again. the head lights, brake lights and the lights on the inside, the oil battery lights were lit up the whole time even after i turned the car off. so i knew there was a short somewhere. so i popped the hood and disconnected the black on the battery and let it sit until i got my lunch break so i can play with it to see whats going on.
lunch time comes and i went to the car, popped the hood, connected the battery again, checked the dash and nothing was lit up. "GOOD" i thought. turned the car on, waited a sec, turned the car back off and everything was good. no lights no radio nothing.. i thought i fixed the issue. even after a couple minor rainy days after this particular day.
well last night it rained pretty bad. and the first thing i noticed was the second i HIT THE KEY FOB to open the door as i was walking to my car from the front of my house the radio started pounding again even before i got in the car. i thought " here we go again". i open the door and was checking everything. the headliner was dry and the carpet in the front wasnt soaked it was actually dry, i was surprised. the passenger side was wet a lil bit though but nothing like that last big storm. so now im wondering "wtf!!!???". what is going on here? i didnt have time to play with anything, i had to get to work. so i just took off. i got to work and turned the car off and radio, the oil light and the battery light stayed on again even without me hitting the key fob, everything just stayed on this time after i shut the car off i didnt even check to see if the headlights or brake lights were on. so i just disconnected the black on the battery again and tried on lunch break to see what happened.
well this time when i went back to connect the battery same bullshit was happening. i thought it would be ok like last time but no, im not that lucky. so again, i disconnected the battery and finished up at work. got out and tried it again.
this time the radio wouldnt play, it just kept scrolling "MISWIRE, CHECK CONNECTION AND RESET" the whole ride home. so im driving with no sounds, and the car would jerk once in a while like if was about die with no gas, but i had at least a half tank. when i got home i went to back into my driveway and the car jerked real hard when i put it into reverse. so i got my tools and went to check the wiring behind the radio.

here is where it got WEIRD....
i put the handbrakes on and put the car in neutral, and turned the car off.. same thing all the lights came on still.. so as i was about the pop the hood so i can disconnect the battery i just happen to press the brakes by accident as i was getting out the car, and all the lights turned off for a split second as i pressed the brake pedal?.?.?.? i was shocked like wtf?!?!?!?! so i pressed the brakes again and the car shut down again. when i let the brakes go the lights come back on.. i held the brakes down and the car shut down. let the brakes go and the car lights up again... BRAKES PRESSED=LIGHTS OFF/BRAKES NOT PRESSED=ALL LIGHTS ON. on off on off on off.. over and over. now im really trippin. i've never seen this happen on any car, and now i really dont know what to do?????? i just disconnected my radio for now until i figure this out HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP SORRY LOTS OF MIXED EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW!!!!
JVC kw-hdr720 Double Din Head Unit
Polk Audio DXi691 Coaxial & DXi461 Plate Speakers
White/Glossified Plasti-Dipped OEM 15" Rims
Red Painted Brake Calipers & Drums
CarDomain home page is pretty much before pix.
The after pix haven't been taken yet... Still under construction
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Check the instrument panel fuse blocks for water damage, pull the carpets and inspect the wiring harness for damage and corrosion etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
Check the instrument panel fuse blocks for water damage, pull the carpets and inspect the wiring harness for damage and corrosion etc.

Thats the fuse box on both sides of the dash, right? What kind of damage, like blown fuses? And where would i find the wiring harness under the carpet, do you mean the one for the radio? Or a different harness?

Last edited by MiLo : 09-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Look at the schematic to see if there is some sort of common ground for these items. You should also try pulling fuses (individually) to see which one you have to pull to make this behavior go away.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Look at the schematic to see if there is some sort of common ground for these items. You should also try pulling fuses (individually) to see which one you have to pull to make this behavior go away.

where can i find a schematic for the wiring at? and i think i want to get all new fuses an relays anyway but i think this would cost me a lot. anyone know where to get these for a cheap price. how do i know if a relay isnt working?

Last edited by MiLo : 10-07-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
pull the fuse blocks and check the backs for corrosion

EDIT: dont forget to disconnect the battery at least 10 min before messing with it

Last edited by 03glgold : 10-01-2013 at 12:22 AM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
pull the fuse blocks and check the backs for corrosion

EDIT: dont forget to disconnect the battery at least 10 min before messing with it

how do i go about pulling the fuse blocks off?
this past saturday rained pretty bad and when i got in my car on sunday there was about 1in. of water on the bottom of both front seats. so i shopvac-ed the water out and traced back the water coming from the driver side fuse panel, looks to me that the water is coming from the a-pillar on the driver side because the fuses were dripping water and noticed corrosion on each of the fuses there. idk where from the passenger side because the fuse panel there is dry.. so my guess would be behind the glove box.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
The molding on the windshield isn't the problem, its the windshield seal itself.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
The molding on the windshield isn't the problem, its the windshield seal itself.

well the molding at the very top of the windshield i know isn't the problem. and i now know that the seal is the culprit, thats why i did the quick fix with the silicone. but i also noticed that the molding is off on the bottom edges of the windshield and can see a nice gap between the windshield itself and the actual molding. if i were to look closely at the front of the car, the windshield is off to one side more than the other, leaving a gap. thats a separate issue but still needs to be fixed.

i need to prevent my floor from becoming a pool, and the water to stop leaking on the fuses in the driver side fuse panel. who can tell me how to do that???? i cant go to the dealership and tell them i have a tsb for the general water leak. my car is waaaaaaaay past warranty for just about everything.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
MiLo
GX Member

well i found a write up on the issue...writeup by a member from gagt "ice??someone??" whocares! whatever his name is... point is, its a gm car with the same issue, and they helped me solve it! thank you!

This how-to is for how to fix the water leak described in TSB #01-08-57-003. The symptoms of this are a wet passenger floor after rain / car wash / etc.. and/or inoperable heater blower motor.

The fix in the TSB is to (re)install a foam deflector, part number 22680817. Cost me about $4 from the dealer.

Tools required:13mm socket for removing wiper arm nuts
Trim tool for prying out wiper arms and also removing body fasteners for air inlet screen
Torque wrench
Adhesive cleaner to clean the surface where the new foam piece goes
a1.jpg

1 - GM p/n 22680817 foam thing

a2.jpg

First order of business - mark off the location of your wipers. I did this with a piece of electrical tape lined up to each blade. This is important so you replace your wipers as they were.
a3.jpg

Remove the plastic covers covering the wiper arm nuts, and remove the nuts w/ a 13mm socket. Then, my trim tool worked fine to pry the arm off the motor spindle. Take pressure off the pivot by lifting the wiper up and pry gently to get it to come off the spindle. Note: BE CAREFUL as you can put a tool through your windshield easy here.
a4.jpg

Now that both wiper arms are off, we can take off the air inlet screen.. Using trim tool (or flathead if you suck at tools), remove the 5 clips, circled in red, then pull up and towards the front of the car to remove the entire piece. Note, it might be a little snug under the windshield weatherstripping.
a5.jpg

Now, you'll see the blower inlet and where we're going to install the foam piece. Remove any old foam piece if it happens to be there, and clean the installation area good with some adhesive cleaner.
a6.jpg

Install the foam piece as pictured.. Run your fingers along the piece many times to get any air bubbles out in the adhesive. You can see that what it does is just deflect water around the blower inlet. It's a bad pic but the piece goes around the curved part of the mounting surface..
a7.jpg

That's it! To reinstall the air inlet cover, just reverse the directions. The weatherstripping on the bottom of the windshield may be stubborn. Also make sure you are inserting the piece between the new foam you installed and the weatherstripping, don't rip the foam on re-install.

For the wiper arms, they press back on the spindles and then just re-install the nuts. I believe the torque required for them is 22 ft-lbs.

Here with the piece off you can see the thin little area and drains that divert water
a8.jpg

Test by pouring some water on the windshield. Hopefully it goes on the ground under the car and not all over your BCM and blower motor.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
you dont have to worry about marking the wiper position as there is an alignment tab that you have to match in order for the arm to go all the way on so it cant be misaligned
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote