Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Cruise Control Not Catching and Holding

I have seen numerous posts regarding cruise control and have skimmed through many of them to see if it could pertain to my situation. And though the symptoms may be the same, the cause is of differing sources.

The cruise control on my 3.4 seems to have good days and bad days. On the bad days the "set" button does not catch for some reason. I see the "cruise" light on the dash flicker on, but then flickers off.

I have also noticed that when I can get the "set" button to actually hold, the "cancel" button is extremely sensitive. If I barely graze it the cruise control will switch off.

On a particularly bad day, the "set" would not catch without repeated mashing and when it did, it was often at the speed I did not want. So I would hit the "res/accl" button (which in the past worked fine) to add speed and this would cancel out the "set" turning my cruise control off again.

It is only issues on the right hand side of the steering wheel. I wonder if maybe a connection has been jarred loose or a possible bad switch? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Seems to be a physical problem.

FYI:
-My wheel bearings are fine
-I have made no electrical adjustments
-No service engine lights
-Per hptuners no sensor failures
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
01Alero93
GX Member

01Alero93 is on a distinguished road
I would say that it's the switch. If you have an O'Reilly auto parts store closeby, they sell them - that's where I got my replacement.
01Alero93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
I had a similar thing happen to my cruise control, the on/off switch was the problem...i just ordered an new set of switches off of eBay (some place out of Indianapolis), I replaced both sides for good measure and they both work great now.
Fuzzyspudkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
does this happen at night, or when its dark enough for your headlights to be on?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Only day is when I really notice it. As far as sensitivity: bumps in the road at 85mph will disengage the "set" as well. But going that fast it doesn't surprise me so much.

I also saw how the light sensors will turn it off (I believe that is what you are referring to.). I do not believe this to be the case. At certain times, when it is acting up, the cruise control just refuses to "set." It seems like it tries, but just will not hold.