Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
Transmission swap

on the LD9 what exactly is going to be needed to do the transmission swap? how hard will it be? what will I need to do?
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
are you just putting in a new stock one, or what? putting that would help someone in answering your question.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
the_weber
GL Member

yes just a used stock one
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
I think he also wanted to know if you were converting from auto to manual
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
well i was just asking because when i think of a trans "swap" i think of it putting a different transmission in. (non stock)
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
u gotta remove the axles, the cooler lines and harness, then u gotta remove the 3 mounts on the tranny: front side back. remove all the bellhousing bolts, theres a sneaky one on the bottom thats backwards, remove the 3 15mm torque converter to flywheel bolts and split and lift up.... just pull the engine/tranny as a combo and split once its out. not that much work. just take your time and keep ur bolts in a box or bucket so nothing gets lost.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
the_weber
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencoupe2.2 View Post
I think he also wanted to know if you were converting from auto to manual
would it be hard to go from a auto to manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
u gotta remove the axles, the cooler lines and harness, then u gotta remove the 3 mounts on the tranny: front side back. remove all the bellhousing bolts, theres a sneaky one on the bottom thats backwards, remove the 3 15mm torque converter to flywheel bolts and split and lift up.... just pull the engine/tranny as a combo and split once its out. not that much work. just take your time and keep ur bolts in a box or bucket so nothing gets lost.

ok. Theres no way to do it without removing the engine?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
Drop the subframe and you wouldn't have to pull the motor.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
the_weber
GL Member

how would i do that?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
You would drop the subframe by dropping the subframe....
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

^^ haha
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
the_weber
GL Member

So helpful. Ive never worked on FWD cars or cars in general before. Jsut jeeps and trucks. So please explain further
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32652

pic at bottom of first page... thats the subframe.. i posted that thread awhile back, and some of the stuff in there might be helpful... idk i didnt read it i just remembered that one thread i posted someone had a pic of it in there.

so here ya go.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
the_weber
GL Member

So how would I drop the subframe? Or was that a joke? because that sounds way easier (I have a lift and a 40x80 shop with 30 grand worth of tools)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

un bolt it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
the_weber
GL Member

Thats it???? Why doesnt everyone just do that for the tranny swap? Will the engine fit out too?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Yes, it all comes out in one big/heavy piece. Assuming you have a hoist this is by far the easiest way to do it. Basically you support the subframe on some jackstands, disconnect everything from the top down (leaving all the wires, hoses and crap in the engine bay), unbolt the subframe and then lift the car up and out of the way. Do the necessary engine and tranny work. Lower the car back onto the subframe and reconnect everything. One day of shop time and no issue with bolts you can't see/reach etc...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
sleepyalero
GLS member

i had my buddy do a rebuild on mine for me.... he dropped the subframe and pulled the tranny in his garage... wonder how much of a pain that was.. lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
the_weber
GL Member

So If I have me, a lift, 2 extra guys, and every tool you could ever imagine this should be doable in about 10 hours? for a first timer?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #20
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weber View Post
So If I have me, a lift, 2 extra guys, and every tool you could ever imagine this should be doable in about 10 hours? for a first timer?

If I had to do that again, I would definitely take it out the top. Neither method is easy at all.

In Denver, the local AAMCO said they would do it for $500 if I provided the tranny. I would have done that, but there were too many non-stock items on my car to trust anybody else with.

Aside from the sheer dead weight of the subframe, wheel hubs and all, the hardest part for us was reinstalling the steering column coupler in correct alignment. In any event, count on doing a front end alignment if you drop the subframe.