Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
greenalero
GX Member

greenalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Window Regulator Jammed

My girlfriends passenger window does not move up but will go down making a terrible noise. So I took it apart and found that the window motor is good but the cable used to pull the window up is jammed in the regulator. I took a couple pics. I was wondering where and how much I can get a new assembly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I know this is going to be hard to get back together so any diagrams would be great to have. It was already in pieces when I took it apart so Im not really sure how everything goes since I didnt get to see it together. Is it possible to get just the cable mechanism or do you have to get both the window motor and the cables. Thanks in advance for the help ~ Chris

greenalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
TwistedDreams
VIP

TwistedDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TwistedDreams
another window falling victim to oldsmobile..

everyone has same problem bud
Old 12-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Typically the whole assembly sells together. (Less than $100)
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Can't repair, the cable binded. A new one runs about $100.00 but they don't last very long. Get a used one OE part they last longer than the aftermaket part, trust me.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
I have gotten away with repairing a few of these it's not easy, but none that looked like that !!! usually the plastic tabs that attach the metal brackets to the spades glued to the window break on me... or the black spades that grab the window break off. When you buy one from GM they make you buy the motor as well because its a different motor assembly. They arent any better than the original ones they just bolt to the regulator differently. I have owned 10-15 Aleros and I have never ever ran into a bad lift motor... typical GM they sell you a new motor and act like they fixed the old problem with a new engineered part but change the wrong part instead of the one that fails. A drivers side assembly runs $170 new from the STEALERship, Good luck on the repair!!!
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
greenalero
GX Member

So if the plastic clip on the back part of the window was at the bottom of the door and I clip it back in will it just pull off again? The clip didnt break at all. Do i need to reglue it back on and if I do what kind of glue do i need to get. I orderd a new regulator for $110 from Advanced Auto parts which I will get on Monday.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
greenalero
GX Member

Well I got the new regulator and it came with some white grease or adheasive. Im not really sure what it is. But is it grease for the tracks or is it glue to for the clips that hold the window? If anybody can respond to this as soon as possible that would be great because Im putting the new stuff in the car right now.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
greenalero
GX Member

nevermind I got it in and it works fine thanks for the help
Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
I use windsheild sealer of Blehm to reglue the ones that break on me. Sorry I wasnt in on this sooner.
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Wreckless
GX Member

Wreckless is on a distinguished road
Good timing for me,As I have to take my pass. side door apart and fix it cuz it goes down but wont go up straight.POS.
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
greenalero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONDOG442 View Post
I use windsheild sealer of Blehm to reglue the ones that break on me. Sorry I wasnt in on this sooner.

Oh your good, I saw the green glue they used to hold the clip to the window so I figured I had to reglue it back on. I used some cold weld which will do more than its job. Thanks again for all your help. Its working fine right now.

Funny thing is I got another one to replace. My mom told me she has having a hard time rolling up her window on her 95 GMC Jimmy. It goes up a bit then stops and then she waits a few minutes and trys again and it goes up. Thats just the early signs of the window motor going out so I guess im going to do that one soon. Hopefully they didnt rivet it on like they did for my camaro. I had to replace one in the camaro and it was a pain. Then my dads 00 Buick has had three window motors replaced. GM really needs to fix their issues with automatic windows.