Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
tranny flush or filter change

trying to decide what to do. i know there are alot of opinion out there and posts. i have the option of a full fluid exchange which is done here locally for 70 dollars or i can have the filter and fluid changed locally around the same price. idk which is better to do ive heard its not good to change the filter? so should i have all the fluid drained and leave the filter or do filter to. money if no issue here. got a 2004 automatic with 50k no tranny leaks or driving problems whatsoever but ive always doune ruotine maitnence as stated in owners manuals im just that way so which should i do here?
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
180,000 miles, still no tranny flush, runs fine. i'm sure it's going to blow apart sometime though.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I've never done a tranny flush..... lol
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
going to do mine soon Im at 136000 might get it done a jiffy lube (brother is the general manager).

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
one easy way to do your fluid is to change the filter (will lose some fluid there) replace lost fluid(approx 4qts) with new, and put your output line on the tranny into a gallon jug, marked off by the quart. start the car and the jug will start to fill. stop at a designated marking(best to stop at 1 or 2), refill the tranny with however much fluid came out, empty the jug and repeat. just check to your manual to find out about how much total tranny fluid your gonna need to put in, and you should be all set. You'll end up putting in about a quart more then you should really need. It won't hurt it...

just PLEASE remember to reconnect your output line when done!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
i say changing the tranny fluid and filter is good. I was having problems and went and had it changed and since then, its not gotten any worse. I let the professionals do it (go to somewhere you trust) and it wasn't too expensive. They also can tell you how worn your trans is so you get an idea of how long you have before troubles start.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
^ ideally (not all cases) its 2008. trannys shouldn't wear out. the whole rest of the car will before it should. obviously rare cases apply though. (not being cases like blackjack who would have utterly destroyed his stock one, if he had kept it in)