Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Untouchable

Hey I've got the supercharger I'm going to put on my car but I can't find parts to help my motor handle all the boost? Also does anyone know if it's possible to run a supercharger through a turbo wastegate?blow off valve?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
wy3134

I pray to god your not going to install this yourself because all that will happen is your engine will go kaboom because u seem like u know nothing of what ur doing, have someone who knows what they are doing install it. Also, research what parts will be needed to put the supercharger on the engine, such as engine upgrades and what boost level you plan to run, theres a lot of research that has to be done before you even consider what kind of system and stuff to put on....read the other threads about it in the performance section....
Old 03-16-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Untouchable

Your right I don't know superchargers. I know turbos issed: so I know I'm going to need better head bolts a better headgasket. Stronger intake manifold, a higher powered fuel pump, bigger fuel injectors. and the rest of the long list. yeah I know about overboost and detonation. don't assume someone doesn't know what there talking I just joined this forum today and I've already met someone who thinks they know all and nobodyelse knows anything. Did it make you feel special when you thought you knew more then I do.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
mfuller

The factory bottom end is actually relatively strong, and will hold about 10psi (then piston strength becomes an issue - factory rods are already forged). The intake manifolds are fairly thick aluminum, and you won't find any aftermarket replacements; if you want something different you'll need to fabricate it. The fuel pump and injectors will handle up to about 310HP, provided you get the ECU tuned properly. ARP has head studs that will work.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
There's a lot more to putting a Supercharger in than just hooking it up.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
exactly what s/c is it??i hope its not the one john was sellin from APOC
heres the best way anyone could help...list all what you have now this way we can determine which parts you will need :thumbsup:
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:46 PM   #7
Final-Reality

You've got "the" supercharger? WHAT supercharger?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
Untouchable

4t-65eHD from a 3800 GTP
Old 03-17-2004, 10:44 AM   #9
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
the 4t65ehd is the trans that comes with the 3800 motor...if you have the s/c from the gtp...well...i think ALOT of work would be involved in that and not really worth it

if you know turbos..then go with the turbo kit, instead of hacking the 3800 s/c to your car

yes a gtp s/c has been grafted to a beretta V6 but the s/c stuck thru a hole in the hood :huh?:
so spend the money and get the kit..eithre s/c or turbo...end of story
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
Crazy_Canuck

Putting my 2cents in about TC vs SC....

I'll agree you can tune a TC for more ponies than a SC. However, I really don't want to put something under my hood that turns red hot and heats up everything else in the engine compartment.... unless it's remotely mounted (STS Performance does this). Also, in the climate up here in Canada, the cold weather can create a LOT of lag and spend more time cooling down your TC before you shut the vehicle off... yes there are timers you can buy but I just don't like the idea of it for a street / daily driver vehicle.

SC's are a lot less complicated and more practical (IMOHO) for street use. You can still tune them somewhat for more ponies and require less complex tuning.

I say go for SC rather than Turbo for practical reasons.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #11
Untouchable

Well here's the deal. Has anyone ever heard of a supercharged Alero? No well I'm going to be the first you'll all here about. I want to do thing that noones done before after the supercharger a 5 speed with 3.91 gears will come next then there'll be a convertable top. I was in a car accident a whie back and I'm getting a very nice settlement. This car wil be my present to myself for surviving it.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #12
Final-Reality

I don't think superchargers are more practical at all for street use, this is especially true at high boost levels. That supercharger is turning, eating and creating horsepower wether you're using it or not. This includes crusing down the freeway, puttering in stop and go traffic, sitting at a light, etc... It's gas mileage is worse than that of a turbo simply because of this fact. With a turbo, if you want that extra power, just rev it up to 3000+rpms and you have the boost, this way you can idle along in traffic or whatever and not have this parasitic drag that a supercharger creates. Plus, mounting a supercharger, especially a custom job, can be hard work. It has to be mounted very sturdily, and in just the perfect position so that the belt doesnt slip. Of course the higher boost levels you run, the bigger these problems are, especially the belt slippage issue.

Also, Crazy_Canuck "I really don't want to put something under my hood that turns red hot and heats up everything else in the engine compartment" that's the stupidest argument against a turbo I've ever heard. You think the exhaust header on a supercharged engine doesnt start to glow red hot? Is a turbocharger the only part of an internal comubstion engine to get hot under the hood of your car? Christ... that argument made no sense at all. And cold air doesnt create turbo lag, if any thing it increases power naturally since the air charge will be cooler.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by Untouchable@Mar 17 2004, 04:01 PM
Well here's the deal. Has anyone ever heard of a supercharged Alero? No well I'm going to be the first you'll all here about. I want to do thing that noones done before after the supercharger a 5 speed with 3.91 gears will come next then there'll be a convertable top. I was in a car accident a whie back and I'm getting a very nice settlement. This car wil be my present to myself for surviving it.
Yeah, actually, I've heard of more than one S/Ced Alero, and at least one other person working on dropping a manual tranny into a V6 Alero. Do your research before you start posting that you're the first and best to do anything. I hope you have the cash to seriously reinforce your car before you chop it. Go that fast in an Alero without a top and the next accident will kill you.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #14
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Untouchable@Mar 17 2004, 03:01 PM
Its been done.... :rolleyes:
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #15
Alerosince99

Quote:
Well here's the deal. Has anyone ever heard of a supercharged Alero? No well I'm going to be the first you'll all here about

OMG! A new hero to save the alero community. Superchargers have been done. Turbos have been done. Engine swaps have been done.

Are you even aware of what is already out there for the 3400?

You are just making yourself look stupid.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #16
StealthAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by Untouchable@Mar 17 2004, 09:01 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a supercharged Alero? No well I'm going to be the first you'll all here about. I want to do thing that no ones done before.
Haha, thats a good one, there are i think about 4 S/C'd aleros on here and about probably 3 turbo'd ones. So yeah it has been done. If you think you'll be the quickest, you've got another thing comin. Use the search button.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #17
sc/alero

well just yto add a little more to the topic
my car is supercharged and has been for a while springs was supercharged we have some of the fastest aleros on the board. granted there are some that are faster or run a very close second. i have had no internals added to my car. i bought the liquid to air intercooler which springs offered. so you will not be one of the first to s/c an alero both springs and i are and were pushing 260 at the wheels
Old 03-17-2004, 05:43 PM   #18
Crazy_Canuck

To everyone else that is ragging on Untouchable (and myself), there is a kinder way of expressing your thoughts you know? Some of you seriously need to grow up and get some manners. I've never been on such an argumentitive and rude forum in my life. I personally thought this was a forum for the Alero community to get together and share their thoughts and help each other.... not rag on someone just because they have a different opinion or excited about making something out of the ordinary for their Alero. How do you expect new people to join the Alero community if all you do is tell them they're 'stupid' and don't know anything. Every single one of you had to start without the knowledge that you have today. So relax and try to be a bit kinder the next time you respond to something you don't agree with, or a question that you may feel is stupid.

As for the Turbo vs. Supercharged discussion, I'd be more than happy to continue it in another thread.

Untouchable, my hats off to you for trying to do something different with your car. If you're serious about it and have the extra cash / knowledge to do something like this, I say go for it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. All that is important is whether or not you're happy with your car and the mods that you make to it. Good luck and let me know how things turn out!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #19
StealthAlero

And to add, there are many people waiting for john (APoC) and HP performance to finish making the alero turbo kit, so once that comes out, the turbo will be alot more popular. Anyways as for the S/C, RSM still sells their kit, and anyone who wants to pay around $4000 can get one hooked up in less then 3 days. Glad to see your doing some custom work but you need research on here alittle more because you make those comments. just givin ya a hard time.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #20
Crazy_Canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by b-spot@Mar 17 2004, 11:23 PM
Dude, I read your turbo vs. sc post. You made it obvious for everyone you don't know what you're talking about. Nothing personal. like you say we all have to learn sometime. Just do the learning first and the posting second.
I have worked with enough TC's and SC's that I know what I am talking about, including ones for large diesel applications. Let's move this to another thread if you want to discuss this further.