Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
Repainting

Ok so some piece of left a gigantic scratch waaay to deep on my passenger side door. how much is it to get it repainted. (its a two door if that matters) or for both doors because they both have a good amount of deep scratches on em. the one on my passenger door is about 14 inches long and deep
Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Could be as little as 200.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
it depends on where you go, no one can give you a quote online. they have to determine the amount of work and the amount of paint and prepwork in-person then multiply it by their hourly charge.

to paint my front body kit was $300, to paint the entire thing was quoted around $600. to paint and install a brand new fender (incl. parts) was $175. i'm guessing 200-300 for your door.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I paid $250 for my hood (both sides) fenders, and rear bumper to be painted, but I only had to pay for paint

Cna the strach be buffed out? how deep?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattismodderX View Post
about 14 inches long and deep

^by deep, i'm thinking it's a little more than just the clear coat lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
if both doors got keyed, the whole side would have to be repainted, the front bumper droped down headlight removed
body side moldings, mirror, both belt moldings, door handles, door frame weatherstriping, door frame applique or as you people call the b-pillar which is wrong
rear door the glass comes out, the vent glass comes out
so here is the labor rates where i work
body labor is at 65
paint labor is 65
so all the r&i on both doors totale about 2.5 hours
the fender r&i`s and the 1/4 also like dropping down the bumper and removing the tail light those total about about an 1.5 hours
repairing the key scratches on both doors, about 2 hours each panel
paint time for each panle is about is about 2.5-3.5 hours
so add that up
that is what you will pay
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Does he really has to take all that off the car? I mean cant they just hide what won't get painted? I know you mean "If he wants a perfect job done" but lets say they just tape everything and sand where it was keyed to level it with the door then they spray the paint and whatever needed. I know it probably wouldn't be called a perfect job, but to most people, could it look decent?

I know spraying paint so it looks even everywhere is really hard, but maybe a good compound after the repair could help fix the small color difference?
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
you would have to do some precision taping if you wanted to make it look good and last.. lol

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Vinalero
GLS member

Even then, I mean, if the dmg is in the middle of the doors, why would you need precision taping? If you tape about where the masked part finish, even if its not perfectly straight, if you are spraying the same color, any normal eye wont really notice even at a small distance.

By the way, I dont criticize bdyman's manners, I'm more likely asking a question here :P
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Midgear
on vacation

nah its cool dude..

I think i'll wait for bdyman to chime in and explain why its necessary to repaint everything- lol

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
from my experience, which is minimal, the main reason for having to paint so much, is simply to account for the blend factor. If you just paint one little area, you will be painting with new paint, which will not reflect the weathering of the original paint of the car. by doing as much as bdyman has suggested, this will blend perfectly and absorb more of the damage resulting in no visible trace of what happened. this is also why on a car that is 6-7 years old, with higher mileage, most insurance companies will just chose to write the vehicle off rather than spend essentially more than what the car is worth to have the work done properely.

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
Vinalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
from my experience, which is minimal, the main reason for having to paint so much, is simply to account for the blend factor. If you just paint one little area, you will be painting with new paint, which will not reflect the weathering of the original paint of the car. by doing as much as bdyman has suggested, this will blend perfectly and absorb more of the damage resulting in no visible trace of what happened. this is also why on a car that is 6-7 years old, with higher mileage, most insurance companies will just chose to write the vehicle off rather than spend essentially more than what the car is worth to have the work done properely.

Thats mainly what I think, but would it be THAT much visible?

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalero View Post
Thats mainly what I think, but would it be THAT much visible?

a car with 6 or 7 years of sun toasted paint.. versus a new layer of paint sprayed on the car.. im sure there is a difference.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
we blend color to achieve a match, when i paint i put a let down panle on the paper and as i paint i check the color to the car, i tint as needed, and blend the other panles with the color i tinted to achieve color match
it is a neccesary step in painting, if you can keep color on one panle if fixing like a small ding, we still blend color on the panle,
but what happened to him yes color needs to blended

so if part are not removed and kept on the car, when we prep for paint, it is near impossible even with a glass prep pen you will never ever get in between the cracks
2. it is the correct way every shop does it, and there is no chance of paint peeling a month down the road,
hows that
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
Vinalero
GLS member

Fair enough, body master :P

I do understand better. thx for the explanation

However, I guess that shops can take bumper cover off faster than I can or else it would cost A LOT for body work hahaha

Quote:
Old 08-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Steven01
GL Member

Steven01 is on a distinguished road
Whoa when the 2nd time some one tried to steal my car auto pack paid to repaint my door because of a DEEP scratch it was 185 to repaint my drivers door. they took the plastick modling off and re-stuck it on door. i can tell becase thier was a little gash in it form someone open door on my CAR. .
Steven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Yea. But we're in canada. We don't rape people on prices as much.

and Winnipeg must suck.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
bdyman
GLS member

well maybe but ask a body fender tech up there and see if he removes all parts before painting i`ll bet money he will say we sure do
you want quality you will pay for it you want insurance to cover it then you pay your dedutcable