Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
Cubby Light Replacement

I've read on here that the cubby light is a #74 bulb with a twist-lock, similar to the twist-lock on the rear dome lights (the ones that flip on), except those are 194s.

At any rate, would this bulb work as a direct screw out and pop this one in for the cubby light?

T1.5-x Instrument LED bulb
1-LED Instrument Cluster and Gauge illumination bulb. #74 LED bulb installed in twist lock socket base

Go to http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/s...gi?product=CAR and click page 2 at the bottom

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
Would the high-power bulb be too much light? I'm thinking about ordering a blue one (no other LEDs in the car yet); $6.79 doesn't sound too bad.
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Atmosphere, If you are willing to spend $6.95 for ONE bulb, and you want blue. Look at my post on NEWBies mods and look at the picture of my cubby hole. Go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy the blue 3" LED door handle lights (it has a picture of the lights illuminating the door handles from the outside of the car). Pull out your center trim and cut the wires to the already existing liight and just tie the LED strip into those wires. I used one (strip) for the cubby hole and the other (strip) for the dome light.
-Smurf-
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Atmosphere
GL Member

Alright, thanks. How much did that cost you by the way?

Last edited by Atmosphere : 04-20-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
...or you could go to oznium.com and get a LED light that will work for that purpose.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Atmosphere,
Bout $20 or so. Not too bad. You could also go with lonnie's advice and go to oznium. com and get just the replacement bulb. I didn't do this because then you wouldn't have fluidity of the shine from the bulb. You would have a shine "spot" where the LED is pointing down.
-Smurf-
Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Lonnie,
You know, we could all go to oznium and buy our LEDs. However some of us are not that technologically gifted to make things with bread-board and LED's...Kinda like the third brake light you are still refusing to make me. LOL
-Smurf-
Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
i thought if you filed the point of led it didnt spot

i guess im gonna have to go back and extent the hole so i can rig a light like this and have it there wit my phone charger i hid there
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
PappaSmurf
GLS member

It wont "spot" as bad. However you still have a single beam of light that is concentrated more in one spot. I found this out by using the search button and reading old posts. to paraphrase someone from this forum, "it's like shining a flashlight at something and then taking the focus cap off of the flashlight" "light goes everywhere." However you still have the source of the beam being from a single LED offset to one side of the cubby hole.
That is why I didn't do it this way! I just used what I already had from my other vehicle and installed it into this one. I put it further in the back of the cubby hole and centered it to MY liking.
-Smurf-
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, No one actually answered his question so far... And I'm not going to either. Cuz I don't know. Cherry is the god of lights.
As for direct twist on I'd guess no. Since if I remember right the whole unit slips in. Course I DON'T remember well. But the wires going in are 12v ish. I replaced them with 4 blue LEDs.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74_t15.htm
Has total specs if the hole is close enough you could get it happy with a pocket knife, start from the guts outward shaving.
Doubt it's a direct fit though, you either need a compatible bulb or need to redo that one I believe.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
For those who wants to keep their cubby hole socket, you need a size 74 or 73 bulb. And its not a twist type bulb, you only have to pull it out. HOWEVER the bulb is not easy to get out of the socket, its so small you cant get a grip on it. I used a pair of long nose to get it out, but I highly suggest you use a piece of rag on top of the bulb then using the long nose over the piece of rag to get the bulb out if you don't want to break the bulb and risk losing an eye because it exploded and pieces flew damn near your eye socket...
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Atmosphere
GL Member

Vinalero: I already ordered a size 74 LED, will I be able to use it?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
Lonnie,
You know, we could all go to oznium and buy our LEDs. However some of us are not that technologically gifted to make things with bread-board and LED's...Kinda like the third brake light you are still refusing to make me. LOL
-Smurf-
....I'm not refusing but if I do it for one I will have to do it for all, besides it only takes like 15 to 20 mins to make the Third Brake light like I did as long as you have the materials...and it isn't much you need...LOL...as far as the dome lights oznium makes a pretty good product I think for this, but I haven't tried it but it appears that they have eliminated the focused light problem. If that's the issue your're talking about.

http://www.oznium.com/led-dome
Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

if it doesnt work, the blue lights inside of the cigaret light things from autozone and what not are that size, they should fit, they look the same alteast
Old 04-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Another not answer, I run 4 (I think they're 3mm) blue leds. If you want pics let me know. But I would totally sugest putting them in the corners facing the oposite coroner.
Mine are unsanded also, that make a big difrence, they look like 4 spots focused and one off. I haven't sanded them yet. Course I have a stone trim so it still rocks... Plus, my lame cig ash doesn't show. Till I can get my stress down and quit.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Atmosphere
GL Member

Ghadsphi: Pictures would be great, thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Vinalero: I already ordered a size 74 LED, will I be able to use it?

Yes. I've already swapped the stock bulb for another stock one and took a 74 and it worked. After a while, I wanted a red one so I ordered a size 74 led on ebay. The problem is, they were poorly made and were not making contact correctly in the socket. Was fitting fine, but was not lighting up. I had to wiggle it and it would not stay on. I guess it depends on the design of the LED.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

it sucks to get it out, i broke mine by accident and pulled it out by the element
Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #19
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

I have no idea where the original is, I can take a pick of the bulbs in the next hour, No light since I'm white and it's 11:40am and my car is parked on the lawn where it belongs....(Only one cinderblock in sight, and it's not for the car) I made the mistake of focusing them all to the center, I'm sure when I sand it down it'll look better but cuz I did the stone thing (thank god Billy painted his "blue" about a week before that) I used hot glue and just kinda aimed it all center, I can change it all anytime but I haven't sanded the leds, I'll try to get a couple pics in the next 2 days. I've been drinking pretty heavy... um a bottle of bottle of Captain myself tonight... So promises mean nothing.... But wiring in a big wide angle 12v led involves cutting 2 wires, some electric tape, (booze will make you think twisting wires is ok instead of soldering) and some hot glue (hot glue is better than silicon for most alero needs) .
Sorry even though I'm going out now to change the batteries in the camera, check my pizza in the oven, take the pic, find the cable, figure out my web ID, upload it and link it, there's a 50/50 chance I'll run out of booze get full and pass out before I finish the chain I need for you to even care. Lol sorry. 6am monday is my friday night.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
This thread is mighty old, I wish I coulda had an answer when I needed it :P Just to give an update, instead of replacing the bulb in the holder, I'm planning on just wiring up some LEDs (4) to fit in the hole. I'll probably hot glue them down and sand the tips. My LEDs are on order, I'll post the results.