Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
OK to use regular Antifreeze / Coolant?

Doing the manifold soon.

What to know if it's OK to flush out all that Dexcool crap and run regular, good ol' American, killing the deer that drink the stuff leaking out of the car, green coolant

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
just use the all make/model stuff. you can't go wrong.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Use whatever you want, just don't mix em.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
i used all makes/models.... seems fine for me
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Yea, I'm using the green stuff, My engine is running cooler actually.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
yeah no problem to run on the green one, I run on it on all my car... I always flush the dex-cool because it is too acid for the engine.... but remember to do a full flush to get rid of all the mud the dex-cool leaves into the rad and water jacket in the engine....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
I only run the green stuff.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
yeah no problem to run on the green one, I run on it on all my car... I always flush the dex-cool because it is too acid for the engine.... but remember to do a full flush to get rid of all the mud the dex-cool leaves into the rad and water jacket in the engine....

i know, im still flushing out the mud in the engine, three flushes later and still muddy
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I always run Dex-Cool with no issues yet..

But either way, you can do it. However you just have to change your coolant sooner.

You might also consider G05 coolant. Many other manufacturers use it, it's not as acidic as dex-cool but doesn't have all the silicate of the green stuff.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
I know about the green stuff and what it leaves behind.

OK I will be doing the switch, along with a new Stainless Steel Upper raditor hose

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
After doing a bunch of reading, I'm pretty much convinced that I should flush out the Dex-Cool and start using the regular stuff. I assume that is what everyone here does eventually?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
I haven't had any problems with it YET, it seems to be only certain dex cool that causes the problems. My dads impala blew up from the limg and dexcool, my moms saturn is caked with dex cool, but when I look in the coolant reservoir of the alero its clean as a whistle while being full of dex cool. Only do the swap if you see the sludge.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
same here. i have over 170k on my engine, and its got dexcool in it, and it looks brand new. no idea when it was last changed, but there doesnt seem to be anything building up, so if it isnt broken, dont fix it.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

LIMG gasket change in less than 40,000 miles, I'd call that broken

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
After doing a bunch of reading, I'm pretty much convinced that I should flush out the Dex-Cool and start using the regular stuff. I assume that is what everyone here does eventually?

yea most people including myself wait for when they are doing the gasket swap and just drain/flush the system and put the new coolant in with the new gaskets.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
My internet research seems to be indicating that I should switch to regular anti-freeze at some point so, I will. Yes, I probably will wait until I'm doing something else to the car. Someone here said they know of a failure at 8,000 miles, but I have also found people complaining about it at 167,000 miles too (and I have to wonder about that person). If Dex-Cool is so bad, how come it's only a problem on the V6 Alero's? I would think it would be just as bad for the 4 cylinder models as well.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
My internet research seems to be indicating that I should switch to regular anti-freeze at some point so, I will. Yes, I probably will wait until I'm doing something else to the car. Someone here said they know of a failure at 8,000 miles, but I have also found people complaining about it at 167,000 miles too (and I have to wonder about that person). If Dex-Cool is so bad, how come it's only a problem on the V6 Alero's? I would think it would be just as bad for the 4 cylinder models as well.

you do know, that all coolants eat the orig. gaskets..... they will go no matter what
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Quote:
If Dex-Cool is so bad, how come it's only a problem on the V6 Alero's? I would think it would be just as bad for the 4 cylinder models as well.

The problem on the V6 is not the Dex-Cool, it's the gaskets that were used. But for the record, i switched away from the Dex-Cool a long time ago. I'm using the yellow "mix with any type" stuff right now.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal_awakening View Post
The problem on the V6 is not the Dex-Cool, it's the gaskets that were used. But for the record, i switched away from the Dex-Cool a long time ago. I'm using the yellow "mix with any type" stuff right now.

yellow?? lol im waiting for the rainbow antifreeze
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
yellow is the ford standard. pretty sure its generic stuff. (both of my parents cars came w/ that)

I'm pretty sure when nate said 8k.. he meant 80k. i've never heard of anyone having a dead gasket at 8k miles.