Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Amp hookup....

This is my first time hooking up a amp and subs. Think I have found the answer in another thread but would like to make sure so I don't screw it up. My main question is from the remote connection on the amp, where do I hook it up? It is a very thin blue wire.... Any 12v connection? At first I was thinking there was a specific spot for this on the headunit but I don't see any place for it. The head unit is a JVC KD-R800 and the amp is a Audiobahn a2002v. Very very cheap setup to start with since I don't put too much emphasis on sound. The factory had the liitle amp in the trunk but that is already out of the picture ever since I replaced the front and rear factory speakers.

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
there should be a wire coming out of the aftermarket wire harness that says "REMOTE" if there isn't..... some headunits have a small spot on the back of them for a direct plug in.

...if not.... you can tap any power wire that turns on with the radio, or when the car turns on. any good 12V wire should work.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
alerogls001
GL Member

Cool, I will check the harness first then. Thanks!

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
brheller
GX Member

brheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond reputebrheller has a reputation beyond repute
This wire turns on the amp. If you use a steady 12v source, the amp will always stay on, slowly draining your battery. If your headunit does not have a remote (it should) you can use an accessory wire (will have power when the key is on, will shut off the amp when you shut down the car).
brheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Steve,
I have texted you and you know that I am WAITING on you to finish this so that I can hear what kind of sound I helped put in your ride. LOL
The remote wire IS the blue wire coming out of the harness. If it is not already plugged into something else, you have to cut the wire and then connect your amp remote wire to it. Anymore questions just text me, I would be more than willing to help.
-Smurf-
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
alerogls001
GL Member

Ya, thanks for the call Smurf! Since my lunches are basically the only time I have to work on it, it has been a week long project so far.... lame, I know. I pulled the head unit out by sliding the long trunk key in the side and then getting a screwdriver to just help pull it out- no scratches or anything lol. I only had time to do that and connect the RCA jacks and run the power wire today.... hey might have it done this weekend. Oh, I reran the wires like you suggested, so the speaker and remote wires are down the passenger side. I'll post a pic of the subs later cause maybe one of you can tell what brand they are.... I have an odd feeling I will be upgrading soon after this is done.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Good job Steve! I am proud of you for doing this yourself and not having it done for you. Yes the RCAs and the speaker wire should run on the passenger side and the power wires on the drivers side. It is okay if you run the remote wire on the drivers side because it is providing a signal to turn the amp on when the raio is on.
Again you will probably be upgrading once that dumbass 18 year old passes you...LMAO!
Did you figure out where the remote wire was in the radio harness? If not hit me up via text and I will walk you through it.
-Smurf-
Old 05-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
alerogls001
GL Member

Yep, I got it. I didn't wanna text u again so late. It was a PITA to get to cause the shop that put the stereo in left like zero slack to work with. Guess I should have done it myself then I would have known where everything was. LOL man I am actually surprised with how it sounds... need to tweak it a little more and find something to line parts of the trunk and license with so it doesnt rattle like crazy. Thanks a lot for all the help dude.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
PappaSmurf
GLS member

SWEET!!!! Glad to hear that you got it running. Text me tomorrow and we will talk more about whats NEXT.....hahahaha
-Smurf-
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
alerogls001
GL Member

LOL. I still haven't got those 194 bulbs I ordered a month ago but I'm gonna text that guy. I'll text you.