Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Mach1
GX Member

Mach1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions regarding the 99 model year 16" wheels.

So I've been poking around on the internet for the past couple days trying to find some specs on the 99 16" Aluminum wheels. I've even looked through my service manuals, but I've still been unsuccessful at find these key specs on the stock 16x6.5 Aluminum wheels on my 99 GLS sedan...

Offset? - I can't seem to find this anywhere. It's obviously a high positive number, but I'd like to know the exact specs.

Weight? - This is another gray area. I have heard 28 lbs for the newer style 16", but I can't seem to find any info on the early style.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
So I've been poking around on the internet for the past couple days trying to find some specs on the 99 16" Aluminum wheels. I've even looked through my service manuals, but I've still been unsuccessful at find these key specs on the stock 16x6.5 Aluminum wheels on my 99 GLS sedan...

Offset? - I can't seem to find this anywhere. It's obviously a high positive number, but I'd like to know the exact specs.

Weight? - This is another gray area. I have heard 28 lbs for the newer style 16", but I can't seem to find any info on the early style.

Weight: I can give you an unofficial estimate of 17 pounds on the 1999 GLS polished 16 inch alloy wheel. I base that on 40 pounds total with tire mounted on wheel, and about 23 pounds of that for the low priced tire I used back then.

And for a 2003 15 inch painted alloy, about 15 pounds, on a Walmart bathroom scale calibrated with Walmart exercise weights. (as unofficial as it gets)

Last edited by AleroB888 : 12-15-2011 at 10:06 AM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Mach1
GX Member

Alright, so I might as well explain myself...

I've been interested in the exact weight specs of my summer wheels/tires and my winter ones for a long time now. They are the following...

Summer combo: 17x7 Enkei PK6s (ET38), 235/45R17 BFG G-Force Sport

Winter combo: 16x6.5 Stock '99 Aluminum (unknown offset), 225/50R16 BFG G-Force KDWS

I remember weighing them on a bathroom scale when I had the chance to. Both wheels had their respective tires on, and I remember there being about a 4-5lb difference (the summer combo was heavier). Problem is, that's all I remember. I can't remember how much I weighed at the time nor did I have specs on how heavy the tires were.

I was also very interested in the exact offset of the stock wheels, but that information was seemingly impossible to find. It's most definitely a high positive number, but I would of enjoyed knowing the exact differences between the stock footprint and where the tires sit now.

I really had no friggin idea for a couple years...

But recently, I decided to spend some time on this and figure it out. The easiest bit of info to find was the tire weights. My G-force sports are still made in the 235/45R17 size, so the weight was listed on BFG's site at 23.74lbs. Since the KDWS isn't made in my 225/50R16 size anymore, I had to email BFG for the spec. They replied that the tire weighed 25.31lbs.

The wheels however, were a different story. While there seems to be a general consensus of around 20 lbs for the stockers, there is almost zero hard info around about this. The Enkeis are even worse. In fact, this is actually pretty hard to find so I might as well make a big deal...

17x7 Enkei PK6s WEIGH ROUGHLY 21-22 lbs!!!

I had to call an Enkei distribution center in Texas to get the shipping weight of the wheel. They said that with the box, it was 25 pounds, and they normally take away 3-4 pounds for the boxes. Since the rim has been discontinued for a while now, they didn't have the exact weight, but I wasn't complaining with the shipping spec. They did have the weight for the PKR though (the newer open lug style version of the PK6), which weighed in at 21.3 pounds. SUCCESS!!!

So, here's where I stand...

Summer combo: WHEELS - 21.3lbs + TIRES - 23.74lbs = 45.04lbs

Winter combo: WHEELS ~ 17lbs + TIRES - 25.31lbs = 42.31lbs

I'd still like to learn the offset of the stock wheel and also the weight, but I am happy with the estimate at the moment.

Soooooo... wheels and tires thread anyone?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
mfuller

Stock 16" alloys for 1999-2000 were 17-18 lbs.
Offset was +42mm.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
So, here's where I stand...

Summer combo: WHEELS - 21.3lbs + TIRES - 23.74lbs = 45.04lbs

Winter combo: WHEELS ~ 17lbs + TIRES - 25.31lbs = 42.31lbs

I'd still like to learn the offset of the stock wheel and also the weight, but I am happy with the estimate at the moment.

Soooooo... wheels and tires thread anyone?

Now question, Do you notice any significant difference with those heavier wheels on as opposed to the stockers? Like MPGs, responsiveness, ect.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I thought the offset was 40

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Mach1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Stock 16" alloys for 1999-2000 were 17-18 lbs.
Offset was +42mm.

Thank you Matt. It's much appreciated. Seriously dude, I'll sleep better tonight lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
Now question, Do you notice any significant difference with those heavier wheels on as opposed to the stockers? Like MPGs, responsiveness, ect.

To be honest, the most noticeable difference between the two is the extra confidence I have when entering/exiting a turn (using the summer combo). In a sense, the car is more responsive and stable throughout the entire line I take, whether it's crap or not. The overall amount of grip was reasonably improved, but I feel that it was the increase in responsiveness and stability that really made me enjoy the car more.

I can't really feel much of a difference when I put my foot in it from a rolling start. However, there is a noticeably smaller amount of wheel spin from a standing start with the summer combo, but I'd attribute that more to the stickier rubber rather than the slightly heavier wheel/tire combo. There is also a slight decrease in gas mileage, but again, I'd put that on the stickier rubber instead of the extra weight.

Now, a few things...

Since I increased the wheel width by a 1/2 inch (1/4 inch or roughly 2/3 of a centimeter on each side), you'd think that the contact patch of the of the wheel/tire would increase by 2/3 of a centimeter on BOTH faces of the wheel (inboard and outboard). Now this is not by any means an accurate way of determining my true contact patch, as I'm disregarding the effect of the width of the tire relative to the width of the wheel. This relationship can affect the location of the actual flex points on the side walls of the tire in respect to the intended flex points... but since we're shooting for simplicity here, we'll just do the math using the wheel dimensions.

In my case the Enkeis are a +38mm offset versus a +42mm offset on the stockers. This means they meet the hub 4mm closer to the imaginary "center line" down the middle of the wheel side (not the face). So my increase of roughly 6mm on each side is "offset" outboard by 4mm making it an increase of 10mm outboard and 2mm inboard. Basically, the offset of your wheel can make a big deal on the contact patch dimensions.

Also, one last thing. When I compare these tires, you have to take into consideration that I only use the KDWS's during the winter, and the cold temperatures don't help them handle any better. For a true comparison I'd have to test both in warm weather.

Damn I hope that math was right. Probably not lol, but it's 6:30am here and I'm passing out. G'night gentlemen...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see your wheels listed on wheelweights.net but it is a great website to reference for the weights of aftermarket wheels.

For example my 17x8 (+32offset) wedssport tc-005 are 14.9lbs a piece. However, my 255/40/17 tires are much heavier than a stock 225 width tire simply because of the width. Essentialy they end up being the same total weight as a stock 16" wheel with tires.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Mach1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
I don't see your wheels listed on wheelweights.net but it is a great website to reference for the weights of aftermarket wheels.

For example my 17x8 (+32offset) wedssport tc-005 are 14.9lbs a piece. However, my 255/40/17 tires are much heavier than a stock 225 width tire simply because of the width. Essentialy they end up being the same total weight as a stock 16" wheel with tires.

Dude, It took me SOOOOO long to find that weight spec. The guy that I talked to from the enkei distribution center basically told me that the reason it's so hard to find is because enkei really doesn't advertise the weight specs of it's "performance" series of wheels.

Since it's the racers who are really crazy about wheel weight, enkei includes a weight category in their excel documents for all available sizes of every "racing" series wheel. They do not include this category in the excel spreadsheets for their other series.

Not only that, but ever time I would search "enkei pk6 weight," all I would get were other car forums where someone asked the same question as me...

and nobody ever knew the answer aside from approximations.

The fact that I know the actual weight makes me feel all warm inside.