Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
dhp or ecu chip?

arent these like the same thing? im confused i was reading some posts seems the ecu chip is much cheaper yet i cant find one? they seem to do the same thing except i didnt see anything stating the ecu changes gears. whats better and worse and supporting details as to why you think so.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
01oldsgls
GL Member

01oldsgls is on a distinguished road
hah ok dhp is a tuner that allows you to thange programming, its not a chip per say. a dhp is gonna be superiour becuase you can change many many many variables and adapt them to your particular needs as oposed to a onse size fits all programmed pcm.
01oldsgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
irondiezl3
GLS member

dhp is the flashed pcm right?

like the one on milzy for $99?

is a ecu chip a little chip i can plug right into my pcm and do they even make those any more?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
first of all you wont find an ECU chip because our cars dont use them. we have pcm's (powertrain control module) which controls both the engine and the transmission. DHP used to make modified PCM's and also sell the PowrTuner which allows the end user to make any changes they want. i have one and its great, but DHP doesnt make these anymore so whatever is in stock at retailers is all there is. im pretty sure milzy doesnt sell DHP PCMs. i think he made up his own version.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
they dont make the powertuner anymore?

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
they dont make the powertuner anymore?

That's correct. DHP is the company name. More specifically it's a network consisting of the developer and designer /programmer (Charles Beyerch) and a network of key product support personnel that assist with programming and customer service.

It shut down new production as of last year, and now only offers limited product support to current customers for the PowrTuner. The owner was actually producing these as a side job, and was getting understandably burned out keeping up with all the new programming requests and developing new software versions, while trying to maintain his real life.

DHP produced two products. Reprogrammed PCM's (REPLACES your car's computer) which provides pre-set changes to your car's factory settings, and the DHP PowrTuner which allows the home user to reprogram their own PCM as many times as they want using a laptop and a motorola-based chipset interface.

I'd be willing to bet the "chip" you speak of is probably a device that simply changes the voltage signal sent from the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor that tells the computer the IAT is colder than it actually is, causing the computer to think it needs more fuel to make a correct mixture for the sensed temperature (since it thinks there's a higher oxygen density with colder air).

This will give a very mild feeling of a little extra power, but is not really good for your engine, since the data it is processing is based on lies getting input from the sensors. Over time, the excess fuel will foul your plugs, gum up your internals with carbon, foul your O2 sensor, and clog your catalytic converter due to an actual rich condition being induced.

DHP PCM = Good (but requires 91 or higher octane with no exception, due to timing advances. Lower octane such as 89 will cause detonation and that's very bad.)
"ECU chip" = Bad for the reasons I explained above.

Good luck.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
DHP (PFYC), Z-Spec, Milzy, and Intense Racing all sell PCMs. I'm pretty sure DHP was the originator and "someone" may have copied the software and ran it under their name. I'm not sure if they still honor it, but DHP will upgrade your PCM if you make any performance upgrades to your car. But it must suck to keep sending it in everytime you change something. Wish I had the PowrTuner
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
irondiezl3
GLS member

milzy sells a programed pcm thats not as good as the rest?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
i think mpracing also sells a PCM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
so.... why doesn't someone pick up where DHP left off? actually produce these as a business? there certainly seems to be a market for it...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
they did, different product, slightly different abilities, wider range of vehicle types.

HPTuner

Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
irondiezl3
GLS member

so whats better dhps or milzys u can get both still pfyc still has the dhp pcms? but its 50 dollars more.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
DHP is most trusted. Not sure if anyone here has Milzy
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

a majority of companies out there that sell PCM's have actually purchased and use the DHP PowrTuner with commercial license from DHP to program as many PCM's as they want. The difference is what tweaks each company makes with their PT.

Milzy will more than likely customize your PCM based on what mods you have, the remainder are more likely generic mild tunes.

And if anyone is in doubt about Milzy and his tunes, I'm running just the transmission parameters that Milzy helped me with for my 4t65, with minor modifications I made for my driving style, and it's working very well.