Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
squatch81
GX Member

squatch81 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to squatch81
Angry Keyless Entry Issue

Ok, This one has me a bit baffled...

I ran a 4 gauge wire from my battery to my amp through a hole in the firewall near the steering column/behind the under hood fuse box and now my keyless entry/power locks are not functioning properly. For reference I have a 2000 with the quad four, 2 door. The vehicle had a remote starter installed while the previous owner had it, she lost the remote. Now the remote start module is located near where this wire is run, and does not have a wiring harness plugged in for the keyless entry feature. My factory keyless entry works on occasion, power locks will only lock, and the panic button works fine, also the trunk button does not work. I replaced the remote battery, and the solder all seems solid, the battery clip is fastened tightly. I checked the connections to and from the remote start module. They were poorly done, but nonetheless seem ok. I came down with a case of mono last week so I have not been driving much, but i know the keyless entry still does not function. It cannot be the fuse because it works occasionally. My only guess so far is that something got knocked loose while poking through the firewall, or the wire I ran causes enough EM interference to mess with the remote start module, or the factory keyless entry (IDK where it is).

Any other suggestions/solutions? I really miss my keyless entry!!
squatch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure HOW to check the relays (door jamb fuse box) but sounds like one of the three that take care of the door locks is messed up...or perhaps something in the FOB.

Relays are about $15 each.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
squatch81
GX Member

squatch81 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to squatch81
I have been doing some research and there are a few TSB's referring to such an issue, panic button is the only working one. Solution is to re sync the fob to the car, anyone know how or am i stuck visiting a dealer?
squatch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Running a power wire thru the grommet wouldnt cause the keyless entry to go haywire.

You have a wiring problem. You must of disturbed a wire. Recheck all wiring connections to insure they are proper. If you dont have the remote for the starter think about removing it. One less hassle.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Almost sounds like the remote has drifted off freq a bit...you could try opening the remote and putting some pressure on the crystal while pushing the buttons and see if you get any of the functions back...if so then you need a new remote. My alarm remote is doing this now...I can lock and unlock, but can't use my trunk pop at all, or silent arming. Other then that it has to be something you knocked loose or something...like Ryan said. Good Luck, and keep us posted on what you find!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
I'm resurrecting because I'm having a similar problem. Sometimes the remote entry works fine, other times it won't lock or unlock at all or pop the trunk. And last night when I was driving the auto locking feature where the doors lock when you start moving kept clicking repeatedly while I was driving. Sound like a bad relay? I've had the same problem with both remotes for my car not working, thats why I'm leaning towards a relay problem.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote