Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Wildman
GL Member

Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking on ebay at some "plug and play" setups. They seem simple enough, but would I have to end up buying 2 kits, one for the high beams and one for the low beams ?? Also is there anything else involved in making it all work? I dont want to go overboard with lighting, but I would really like the HID type output when driving at night at a fairly cheap (for HID) price. Any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
AnderbrA
GLS member

AnderbrA is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to AnderbrA Send a message via Yahoo to AnderbrA
you wouldnt need them for the high beams too....that would be overkill....dont think you would see too much of a difference...

i could be wrong though

www.anderbrainnovations.com

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts
02 Lincoln LS V8 Sport - RIP
AnderbrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #3
Super White Alero

You don't need High beam HiDs, Mr. Junge is a decent price, if you go to Ebay you could fine some new ones for as low as 300 usd.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #4
Wildman
GL Member

I have Silverstars right now. What is the deal with the color range. I looked at some pics and I dont like the real high range, seems almost darker than the lower range K. Kinda defeating the purpose isnt it?? I just want the brightest whitest headlight possible. Would a simple 6000K plug and play kit do the trick you guys think ?? Or are the silverstars (not super great in my opinion) about as bright as a 6000k HID kit? If theres going to be a good difference between the HID and the regular bulbs, then I would say its a good purchase.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
bigd6983

you will definately see a difference between an hid kit and a silverstar swap, much much much brighter......i might start saving for a set.......
Old 01-11-2005, 02:18 AM   #6
Super White Alero

The numbers for Hid are not rating for power input but for wavelength frequency. THe 14000 are purplish I believe and the 9700 are the brightest you can get. Although i might have the numbers wrong. If you are going for diamond white HiD i suggest a projector since you can blind the car in front of you.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have HID's on My car... 6000K with Hella Ballasts. Do not waste Your time with the high beams. The lower the number, the whiter the light.
If You decide to convert to HID, remember to insulate the Ballasts as the Alero lights are negative triggered. So if You do not insulate the Ballasts the headlights will be on all the time! I insulated My Ballasts with roofing rubber.I also extended the wires from the Ballast so that I could mount them on the inner fenderwall by the struts to keep them dry.I paid $350.00 for the kit at suvlights.com. The kit was a Sylvania kit. I believe the Jen does not sell them anymore due to regulations but He did give Me the phone # to where He got them from.
Silverstars are like flashlight bulbs compared to HID,,,as I had the Silverstars hefore converting to HID. Just remember to reaim the lights as not to piss off oncoming drivers & Police!!! I have not had any problems with other drivers & Police since I put them in.Hope this helps! Good luck :-)
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
AnderbrA
GLS member

AnderbrA is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to AnderbrA Send a message via Yahoo to AnderbrA
anything above 6000k would be a waste....stock HIDS in audis and bmw are around the 4300-4700k range....

mine are 4300k

www.anderbrainnovations.com

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts
02 Lincoln LS V8 Sport - RIP
AnderbrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow.. don't listen to anyone in this thread.. even anderbra!!! (You have 4100k fool!)

The brightest you can get is 4100-4300k. Very bright white, and this is the stock range for factory setups.

About ballasts being negatively trigered blah blah blah... don't buy poopty balasts and this isn't a problem. They should be ground independantly of the balast case :rolleyes:

If you just put the bulb into your existing headlight you don't really need highbeams since you are throwing up so much glare anyways.. lol. I highly recoommend a projector retrofit. Having hi and low beams would be nice, but no matter what your HID low beams will be better than your halogen highbeams anyways. Just get silverstars for the highbeams, or at the very most a cheap HID kit.

If your car uses the highbeams as DRLs (older aleros) then don't put any in your highbeams unless you disable your DRLs. If your car uses your lowbeams for DRLs (newer aleros) you need to disable them no matter what.

All HID kits are not equal, don't cheap out with the mr. Jung crap. Get a kit that has either Phillips or Hella components, or a mixture of both. As for Silvania, they are newer at this, so do some research if you go that route, but they are obviously another good name in lighting. Phillips and Hella have been doing it right for years though.

Any more questions, feel free to ask away
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
freeze12
GL Member

b-spot.... Learn a little about HIDs for the Alero before You talk like a fool. I have Hella ballasts and the case is metal & when bolted to the metal of the Alero the ballast will complete the headlight circuit thus turning on the low beams without turning on the headlight switch! The Alero headlights are a negative pulse system which means that the lights come on when the ground circuit is completed. I know because I went through this & learned the hard way by going through all the troubleshooting to rectify the problem. Why do You think some dealers sell plastic cases for the ballasts?? "So the ballast does not ground out"

Quote 1:About ballasts being negatively trigered blah blah blah... don't buy poopty balasts and this isn't a problem. They should be ground independantly of the balast case

HMmmm: Hella is one of the best ballasts on the market.Plus You double talked Yourself....

Quote 2:Phillips and Hella have been doing it right for years though

PS: Of anyone wants to see My set-up that would be no problem. Or needs some help.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
yeah, anywho, i have the 6000K on my car, if you want to take a look, I would be more than glad to meet up with you somewhere...you're in the north hills i see and i'm in the west hills, but i'm always up north so just let me know...
Old 01-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
b-spot
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by freeze12@Jan 11 2005, 12:40 PM
b-spot.... Learn a little about HIDs for the Alero before You talk like a fool.

Content removed from post. B, don't start flaming people here

Grounding to your ballasts should NOT be provided by the ballast casing, this is just asking for arcing. A ground screw into your frame with grounding cables is the correct method.

See, I had a properly installed kit with all Phillips components as well as fully independent relays/power/ground. I'd be very suprised if you could tell me something I don't know about HID's.

content removed

Old 01-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
b-spot
GLS member

Quote:
I have HID's on My car... 6000K with Hella Ballasts. Do not waste Your time with the high beams. The lower the number, the whiter the light.

Around 4100k to 4300k is the colour that mimics sunlight, and thats why it is chosen for stock systems. Very bright pure white, gives the most light output, and the least strain on your eyes.

Quote:

I insulated My Ballasts with roofing rubber.I also extended the wires from the Ballast so that I could mount them on the inner fenderwall by the struts to keep them dry.

Roofing rubber and you extended the wires? Did you crimp them, tape them or grommet them? nice install :rolleyes:

Quote:
Just remember to reaim the lights as not to piss off oncoming drivers & Police!!! I have not had any problems with other drivers & Police since I put them in.

A proper HID setup doesn't require you to aim your lights down. If you are throwing that much glare up you need a sheild or projector retrofit. Aiming your lights down is taking away the advantage of HID's as your hotspots are now on the road a few feet infront of you, not straight ahead to illuminate the road in the distance and other objects. Now you are just looking ahead off of the glare you were throwing up. Great setup. Stick to some blue jap bulbs and get rid of your rice kit, and most of all, stop running your mouth.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #14
Wildman
GL Member

Thanks to everybody for the information. This has been helpful. If anyone else has any info, please do post :thumbsup:
Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 PM   #15
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
:cheers: B-spot for president.... wait he's from canadia... nevermind.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #16
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by b-spot@Jan 11 2005, 03:28 PM
Quote:

Around 4100k to 4300k is the colour that mimics sunlight, and thats why it is chosen for stock systems. Very bright pure white, gives the most light output, and the least strain on your eyes.

Quote:

I insulated My Ballasts with roofing rubber.I also extended the wires from the Ballast so that I could mount them on the inner fenderwall by the struts to keep them dry.

Roofing rubber and you extended the wires? Did you crimp them, tape them or grommet them? nice install :rolleyes:

Quote:
Just remember to reaim the lights as not to piss off oncoming drivers & Police!!! I have not had any problems with other drivers & Police since I put them in.

A proper HID setup doesn't require you to aim your lights down. If you are throwing that much glare up you need a sheild or projector retrofit. Aiming your lights down is taking away the advantage of HID's as your hotspots are now on the road a few feet infront of you, not straight ahead to illuminate the road in the distance and other objects. Now you are just looking ahead off of the glare you were throwing up. Great setup. Stick to some blue jap bulbs and get rid of your rice kit, and most of all, stop running your mouth.
talk about OWNED! b-spot dominates
Old 01-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #17
freeze12
GL Member

Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The rubber was used to insulate the ballast so that the metal of the ballast does not contact the cars metal.
The extended wires were soldered & sealed using shrink tubing.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

------------------------------------------------------------------
HID is a LOT brighter than any plain bulbs. So a minor aiming adjustment is what I did & works just fine.
Do You even have HIDs? "Run my Mouth" Heck You do not even have HIDs & You have the nerve to post.
This guy asks for help & i am sure He would rather hear from someone that has HIDs and not from someone that wish's they had HIDs

Owner Info
Member ID: bspot
ยป Add to my friend list
Page Created: Jul 11, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicle Info
Make: Oldsmobile
Model: Alero
Year: 2002
Nickname: Bamm
Car Setup: stock
Sound System Setup: stock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performance Modifications
Intake: RKSport

Interior/Exterior Modifications
Gauges: Custom
Pedals: MOMO
Shift Knob: APC
Tires: Toyo

Mobile Electronics
Amplifier: Alpine
Custom Enclosure: Alpine
Head Unit: Alpine
Subwoofers: Alpine

Talk when You have some real mods on Your car.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #18
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
^ uh, his car is pretty much parted out his car cause he's getting rid of it... eventually... and having mods doesnt mean poop when you're talking about one specific mod that he just happens to know something about.... no offense but your post is pretty pointless.

i mean if he's wrong about the HID thing, by all means go ahead and call him out, but if you're just gonna talk trash cause you have nothing better to say, that's kinda lame... you know?
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #19
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
b-spot was absolutley right in every one of his posts. and you know what...your right..HIDs are a LOT brighter than plain bulbs. but our stock low beams werent designed to be used with HIDs. they're supposed to run plain bulbs. HIDs are entirely to bright and throw too much glare in our stock low beams. a complete projector retrofit is probably a little pricey, but also probably the best way to do HID in an alero.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
b-spot
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521+Jan 12 2005, 05:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spilner521 @ Jan 12 2005, 05:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> b-spot was absolutley right in every one of his posts. and you know what...your right..HIDs are a LOT brighter than plain bulbs. but our stock low beams werent designed to be used with HIDs. they're supposed to run plain bulbs. HIDs are entirely to bright and throw too much glare in our stock low beams. a complete projector retrofit is probably a little pricey, but also probably the best way to do HID in an alero. [/b]

The man speaks the truth!!

:cheers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And by the way you (insult removed to save the mods some work).. learn how to READ

<!--QuoteBegin-b-spot

See, I had a properly installed kit with all Phillips components as well as fully independent relays/power/ground[/quote]

I have had, and installed HID's. I got most of the way through a projector retrofit before I decided my car would be on its way too soon to put the time/money in.

If you took the time to go to my cardomain, why didn't you notice as an HID expert the pictures with my HID's?

And these are what we call "projectors". Please read about them before you decide to talk about them or give advice to anyone. Bryce has my other set in his car, and these are still sitting in a box in my room until I decide if I'm going to retrofit my next car.