Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
2blessedalero
GX Member

2blessedalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help elderly lady with car problems

Hey guys,
My elderly mother is the owner of a 99 Alero. It has 90k on it & over $5k in it! We have invested so much into this vehicle it would be ashamed to trade it in now. Our current problem occurs when she is driving, the car just cuts off! It also happens when she is at a stop sign/light. She has to keep her foot on the gas while braking. This causes the Trac Off & SES lights to come on. When it stalls it starts right back up immediatly; she just put it in neutral while crusing, and starts. She has gotten to the point of driving with her foot on both like she is driving a manual. She says it also hessitates when she goes to take off again.

Now from what I have researched on this great site, I have come up with a couple of possibilities:

1.) Fuel Pump
2.) Fuel filter
3.) Ignition cylinder/switch

We have kept up with the maintenance, for the vehicle has had a tune up, when GM claims the car can go 100k before it needs one; the went through the wheel hub battle three (3) times, and we are on our 8th set of brakes, and 5 set of rotors!

Vehicle:
Oldsmobile
Alero
2.4 4-cyl 150 hp
90k miles
no mods
2blessedalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
I had this exact same problem on my old sebring... It was the fuel pump! But unfortunately the whole fuel system went after that... that's what I get having a Chrysler with 180,000 miles

But yeah, I'd get the fuel pump checked. When you turn your key over to the ON position (not starting it, it's just before starting it), you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds... The sound will be coming from the rear of the car near the fuel tank. I hope this helps!
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
tnalero99
GX Member

tnalero99 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my car briefly cutting off when I would let off the gas to slow down. I had done a few things at the time but the main thing I believe solved it was the throttle position sensor needed replaced.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
2blessedalero
GX Member

ok, I read on here that you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. Is there a way to test it otherwise?

Throttle position sensor. Would that throw a code? Also where is it located on this vehicle?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
99alerogirl
Female.

I'm not sure about that... I was always just told to listen for the fuel pump running. Mine wasn't, so my testing stopped there... Sorry
Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
2blessedalero
GX Member

Well if it was the fuel pump, why would it start at all? I mean if it didn't do its job and pump the fuel, then the engine would start on the fuel already stored in the line and then stop when it has used all that. Am I correct in saying this?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
2blessedalero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnalero99 View Post
I had my car briefly cutting off when I would let off the gas to slow down.

She has told me that it cut off when she is on the highway cruising.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
99alerogirl
Female.

Mine still worked, it was just really weak, and therefore didn't make a loud enough sound to hear it run. I'm not sure, that's what the mechanic told me haha. It was intermittent too, sometimes I would hear it run, but sometimes I wouldn't.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
tnalero99
GX Member

My fuel pump was working fine so knew that was not the issue for me. The TPS sensor in on the side of the throttle body facing the fire wall. It has a wiring harness going to it and it is black plastic and round, about the size of a quarter. I believe there are 2 star screws holding it on. I bought a new one at autozone around $35 and took about 5 minutes to install. Mine never cut off with gas applied, only when at idle.

Last edited by tnalero99 : 01-05-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: adding
tnalero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
99alerogirl
Female.

Quote:
My fuel pump was working fine so knew that was not the issue for me. The TPS sensor in on the side of the throttle body facing the fire wall. It has a wiring harness going to it and it is black plastic and round, about the size of a quarter. I believe there are 2 star screws holding it on. I bought a new one at autozone around $35 and took about 5 minutes to install. Mine never cut off with gas applied, only when at idle.

Wow, let's hope it's that and not the fuel pump then!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
2blessedalero
GX Member

Quote:
The TPS sensor in on the side of the throttle body facing the fire wall. It has a wiring harness going to it and it is black plastic and round, about the size of a quarter.

Where is it in this picture?
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OeAV3tJpNuo/SA...Q/DSC03914.JPG

Quote:
Mine never cut off with gas applied, only when at idle.
What about when cruising at 65MPH?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
tnalero99
GX Member

Picture doesn't work and I don't have one either. Likely that the TPS sensor would not be at fault for cruising instances, think the TPS sensor mostly is a problem when cutting out at idle. Hopefully someone else that has had that come up can chime in.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
No, the TPS sensor usually causes issues at certain throttle positions. Mine causes intense lean spikes at low throttle but not at idle. It read too low compared to what the throttle position actually was. The most noticeable problem area was cruising 50-70 mph. Too much air feels like fuel cutting out, but never enough to make it die..

The TPS looks like this, it's on the bottom of the throttle body:

BUT, I doubt that's your problem. I have a feeling it's the ignition switch.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I have a feeling it's the ignition switch.
x2...

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
2blessedalero
GX Member

ok. Ignition switch. Now exactly how do can I first check it, then how do I replace it? I have searched here and on the internet for a write-up or something to tell me how. Does anyone have any pictures? Also is it the switch or lock cylinder? Do I need to go to the dealer, or Autozone?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Methinks the ignition switch and lock cylinder are in fact the same thing / piece / or located in the same part, which is that little assembly you stick your key into to turn the car on- not sure on price, but some have replaced it and it fixed several problems, im not even gonna mention price though, cause it could vary depending on location-

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Go Filter 1st...

start cheapest then work your way up. Do the work yourself if you can do basic mechanics.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
^^I'd go fuel filter too first, cheap and fairly easy to swap.

What does having to keep her foot on the gas would have to do with the ignition cylinder. If it was the ignition cylinder, it would cutoff the car even if she was revving 5000 rpm imo.

I think It clearly has something to do with fuel system.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis

Last edited by Vinalero : 01-05-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
2blessedalero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
Go Filter 1st...

start cheapest then work your way up. Do the work yourself if you can do basic mechanics.
Where is the fuel filter located on this vehicle? It has the 2.4 twin cam if that makes a difference.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Should be one by the tank under the trunk...

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote