Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Diamond forged 3400 pistons now available

http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/forged-.../prod_186.html

These are a full floating piston, and are available in "off the shelf" pricing for .020, .040, and .060" overbore, in 9.5 10.5 and 11.5:1 compression. Stock, .010, .030, and .050" overbore is 39.99 more and any compression change (based on stock 28.6cc 3400 heads) is 159.99 more. If we we get a group order of 6 sets on a different compression ratio, I can give a discount on those since they are considered custom.

Rings are available as well for 89.99 in standard, or 164.99 for a NAPIER 2nd ring version set, meant for nitrous or heavy boost.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i thought you were going to offer an off the shelf 9.0:1 piston.....
Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
3500 heads make it 9:1. You don't need low compression to run a lot of boost on these motors.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
that may be true, but I thought for full race/boost heads, that 3400 head were better than 3500 heads. Also, what do you consider a lot of boost? That is a fairly open comment.

Thanks, Kyle
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Race/Boost 3400 heads are better than ported 3500 heads for a race/boost application, and by race/boost, I mean all out balls to the wall, no holding back. 20+ psi, 500+ hp boost or 8000+ RPM NA with a peaky RPM meant for certain track racing. I don't even have the race/boost 3400 heads listed on my store right now. I don't know why word spread that "3400 heads are better for boost than 3500" because that is false. It takes $700 in port work from my company to make that happen. Now that the 3500 heads have the metal/rubber LIM gaskets, that advantage for the 3400 heads are now gone as well for durability.

I still wouldn't run 9:1 for 20 psi though. 9.5 is the lowest I would go and so we decided 9.5 10.5 and 11.5 would be the off the shelve version. We had 3 sizes and 3 compression ratios to decide on. If demand for 9:1 is there, we can add them to the shelf versions. They just cost more if you want something we aren't stocking on the shelf.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
kwhauck
2Screwy

Ok, thank you, that is what I want to clarify is that race/boost 3400 heads are better than race/boost 3500 heads.

and thankfully that full out 20+psi, 500+hp has the same meaning to you as it does to me.

curious as to why you wouldn't go lower than 9.5:1. 20 psi with a 9.5:1 put you way up on the fuel scale, like 110 or e85 levels....
Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

11.5:1 will run on midgrade NA. The LS owners can run high levels of boost (16+ psi) on 11:1 compression and we have a similar combustion chamber, and probably a better I/E flow ratio thanks to the splayed valves. Based on this, I would keep 9.5:1 and boost it as much as I cared to.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I run 60 psi on 14:1 high compression NA pistons! what get at me!

haha jk

but your saying that switching the 3500 heads gives you a lower compresion ratio?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
but your saying that switching the 3500 heads gives you a lower compresion ratio?

Exactly. I don't recall the exact numbers, but 3500 heads have larger combustion chambers.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Exactly. I don't recall the exact numbers, but 3500 heads have larger combustion chambers.

Ohh.. no shit? So why don't most people who boost switch to 3500 heads so they can run a little more than 7 psi, I don't know boost to much but wouldn't that take a lot of strain off the stock 3400 pistons and rods if it was running low compression.

I mean I did a head swap with my CRX but that was like legos, is the 3500 a direct bolt on?

Last edited by xXManwhoreXx : 05-17-2009 at 11:30 AM.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
Ohh.. no shit? So why don't most people who boost switch to 3500 heads so they can run a little more than 7 psi, I don't know boost to much but wouldn't that take a lot of strain off the stock 3400 pistons and rods if it was running low compression.

I mean I did a head swap with my CRX but that was like legos, is the 3500 a direct bolt on?

although new pistons are a good thing, it is usually the tranny that gives out and not the motor, i was running 15psi for a year and a half and only had problems because my tune went lean........

minus a few little things, the 3500 heads are a direct bolt on, but if you can take off the manifolds and heads yourself, those little things aren't a big deal

But again, most people cannot take apart the upper end apart themselves like that, so that is why it doesn't get done. It is a shame though, even for NA motors the 3500 heads are a cheap and fairly easy upgrade for our cars.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

28.6cc vs 32.4cc chambers. It makes a 3400 9.1:1. They are a direct bolt on minus the coolant temp location, which is as simple as extending the wires to the sensor in the head instead of the 3400's lower intake location. That, or plug the head and drill/top the lower intake for the stock location.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
It makes a 3400 9.1:1.

That's just about perfect for boosting isn't it?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Depends on what you are doing. 9.6:1 is fine too and perfect is all in the complete package setup.