Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation gas gauge...

ok so heres the deal i have been putting this off but i cant stand it anymore...

ny gas gauge does not read accurate, the gas light is pretty accurate tho... basically unless i do a full fill up i dont know how much gas i have. it will go all the way up then back down or sit at half or whatever... basically i need to know how to ix this... i figured i would have to drop the tank., idk what to do about this anything would be good. and i cannot afford to take it somewhere to fix it due to the rediculus costs of dropping the tank.. so any help will be good thanks
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
ok so heres the deal i have been putting this off but i cant stand it anymore...

ny gas gauge does not read accurate, the gas light is pretty accurate tho... basically unless i do a full fill up i dont know how much gas i have. it will go all the way up then back down or sit at half or whatever... basically i need to know how to ix this... i figured i would have to drop the tank., idk what to do about this anything would be good. and i cannot afford to take it somewhere to fix it due to the rediculus costs of dropping the tank.. so any help will be good thanks

Gonna cost you abunch either way. You need to drop the ank and replace the fuel pump and the fuel level sending unit in the tank. Last time I checked, it was around $300 + . That's why I just rely on my trip odometer, and my low fuel light.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
worknprog.99
GLS member

well see the problem with that is even the gas light is getting un useful... so i put 3 gallons in today and the gauge is already going crazy and gas light is on... the problem is unless i do a full fill up i cant know how much is actually in there... the pump seems fine is there anyway to just fix the sending unit? or is it attatched
Old 09-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
well see the problem with that is even the gas light is getting un useful... so i put 3 gallons in today and the gauge is already going crazy and gas light is on... the problem is unless i do a full fill up i cant know how much is actually in there... the pump seems fine is there anyway to just fix the sending unit? or is it attatched

If you find a way, let me know. As far as I know, the pomp and sending unit are all one piece.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
worknprog.99
GLS member

damn... i figured they were... so a fuel pump is 300?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Seperate....... might as well do the tank while your down there though
Old 09-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Have a read here:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...ight=gas+gauge
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i would replace your gauge cluster before you drop the tank IMO, i forked out the 300 for a fuel pump and filter and swapped it because thats what i thought was wrong but in the end it was a bad needle in the gauge cluster.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
worknprog.99
GLS member

^^ possibly since my temp. gauge also does not read correctly.... but would it cause it to go haywire tho? once i start running lower on gas it starts picking its own levels or reading above full, down to absolutely nothing with a light.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
have you ever worked on it? fill your tank up, remove the lense from the custer, pull the needle off, possition to just past the full line, but make sure not to push it all the way back down, friction between the needle and the cluster can be annoying

i had my needle just right but i swear my brother touched it, so now its slightly off but no big
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroDrime View Post
have you ever worked on it? fill your tank up, remove the lense from the custer, pull the needle off, possition to just past the full line, but make sure not to push it all the way back down, friction between the needle and the cluster can be annoying

i did that with my alero, my mom is notorious for letting cars get too hot, so i know it runs at almost 1/4, so i made it go tio 1/2. so when she sits in traffic, it will go up to red without being in the red, and she will freak
Old 09-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
Well i has this problem some timeago and ive found out that the sender or float in the fuel tank goes bad, IMO just poor parts on GM , not on that delphie builds them... I drop the tank installed a new sender , that came with a new fuel pump and all was cool...
A57 is offline   Reply With Quote