Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
brake line

hello everyone.

here's the latest problem with my alero. when i hit the brakes the pedal goes all the way to the floor. and after about 20-30 pumps the brakes are empty.

so i looked for the leak and found it.

this might be hard to describe. it's the front passanger wheel. the leak is the little metal line right before the rubber hose that goes to the caliper. to it goes caliper, to rubber line, then to metal line. follow the metal line, and it goes really close to the motor. and in my case so close that the motor rubbed a hole in the line. it's right beside where the abs wire is.

anyone know what i'm talking about?

well my question is... how hard is that to replace, how expensive is that metal tube. do i need special tools? should i just take it to my gm stealership and give them my first born?

any advice on replacing this would be greatly appreciated.

i know pictures would help, so i'll try to post some later

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
yea its the main line from the abs box to the passenger side front brakes..

to fix it you need to get a compression fitting.. is one to fix it or you have to have the brake line replace. cost varies per shop....

If you feel up to doing it Do it!...and save $$$$$$
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
well, same shit happned to me, cost 500$ to fix (i suck at making fittings)
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Yea brakes aren't hard to work on. The only catch is getting used to using flaired fittings but that isn't exactly rocket surgery.

However.....brake work has quite the pucker factor. The first time I worked on my brakes (that involved pulling lines) I was paranoid for weeks that I jacked it up. Every time I backed out of a spot, I checked the ground for fluid. So if you aren't mechanically inclined, or are a habitual worrier, the shop price might be worth the piece of mind.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Check the nearest stealership parts department though - you should be able to order just the one brake line pre-made and ready to install. Then just carefully install and bleed, etc...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
well i'm always up for trying to fix it myself. i don't have $500 to fix this. it's just a little spot on the metal line where my engine blocked rubbed a hole in it. i assume compression fittings would come with the new line. and special tools needed to take the lines off?

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote