Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
mcinnesja
GX Member

mcinnesja is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Any advise?

Ok, so I just bought a 99 alero(2.4 auto) 2 days ago.

My first domestic car!!
Only had 158,474 km on her.
So I think I got a really good car.
I dont have the Haynes manual yet, Im hoping to pick 1 up tomorrow
Had a slight miss in the 2nd cylinder, but a new set of plugs took care of that.

It has the red abs, and the parking brake light on.(not sure why the parking brake light is on, no chiming and the p. brake works great)

No T. control light on, but I can not get the Tac Off, or low trac light to come on either by spinning the tires!!(I know stupid way to test it, but pushing the ETS button does nothing for some reason, I just assumed it had to do with my abs & parking light being on)

Brake pedal is very firm, and the previous did have all pads and rotors replaced in February.(he gave me the receipt)
Brake Fluid level is good.

I knew it needed a passenger front abs sensor because the wire was sheered off right @ the sensor.
So I replaced the sensor/hub this afternoon, and the abs light is still on and of course the parking brake light.
No codes showing on the odb II reader

Any idea what I should check?
Snow is coming here in Canada, and I would love to have traction control and abs for it

Last edited by mcinnesja : 09-09-2011 at 01:05 AM.
mcinnesja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Um the easy way to test the "Trac Off" light is to hit the "ETS" button on the center console on top, about where the seat belt buckle is... that turns on/off traction control.

A typical OBD2 reader won't show body control codes. A Tech II at a dealership or HPTuners will.

Maybe it just takes a while before the code is eliminated. You know, enough cycles of driving with no errors reported will eventually clear the DTC. Just wait a bit.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

A typical OBD2 reader won't show body control codes. A Tech II at a dealership or HPTuners will.

wait..HPTuners does ABS codes too?

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn't "do" ABS codes, but it can list BCM codes like wheel speed sensors and such...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
mcinnesja
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Um the easy way to test the "Trac Off" light is to hit the "ETS" button on the center console on top, about where the seat belt buckle is... that turns on/off traction control.

Maybe it just takes a while before the code is eliminated. You know, enough cycles of driving with no errors reported will eventually clear the DTC. Just wait a bit.
Hitting that ETS button does nothing for some reason, I just assumed it had to do with my abs & parking light being on....
If that is not the case, then I have another issue :'(

I read on Ondemand5, that it takes 100 drive cycles to get rid of the code(each cycle consisting of start, driving over 10mph, and then the engine being shut off). I may just drive the car Alot tomorrow... about 100 times in the hopes that it goes away

Last edited by mcinnesja : 09-08-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
If your "Trac Off" light doesn't respond to your ETS button, there's something wrong with the light. It's either damaged, or has been taped over. The "Service Vehicle Soon" light should also have been on when the old hub was on there...if it's not, same story. You can confirm that they aren't working by watching to see if they come on when you first turn the key on. As for the ABS light (should be Amber, not red) and "Parking Brake Light" (Red Brake Warning light), if they were only on because of that sensor wire, and the hub was replaced correctly, they would not still be on now. It takes multiple cycles to clear the codes from memory, but not to cancel the lights. These lights default to "Off" at the beginning of every drive cycle.

You still need to have your codes scanned.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy

Last edited by SIUlero : 09-09-2011 at 12:43 AM.
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
mcinnesja
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUlero View Post
If your "Trac Off" light doesn't respond to your ETS button, there's something wrong with the light. It's either damaged, or has been taped over. The "Service Vehicle Soon" light should also have been on when the old hub was on there...if it's not, same story. You can confirm that they aren't working by watching to see if they come on when you first turn the key on. As for the ABS light (should be Amber, not red) and "Parking Brake Light" (Red Brake Warning light), if they were only on because of that sensor wire, and the hub was replaced correctly, they would not still be on now. It takes multiple cycles to clear the codes from memory, but not to cancel the lights. The lights default to "Off" at the beginning of every drive cycle.
K, now Im scared that their might be alot more wrong then I thought.
Something must be wrong with my T.C also
I wish it was something as simple as a bulb to be honest

Just went out to check to make sure the lights come on that you mentioned.
Both the trac off and low trac lights come on when you put the Key to the on postion.

Same for the service engine soon light.(not sure why it was not coming on due to the abs issue but with the wire ripped out of the abs sensor, I knew that atleast had to be replaced)

You are correct, I mixed up the color of the lights, the park brake is red and the abs is a yellowish color

But when I push the ETC button while stopped @ a stop light neither of the T.C. lights work, and it definitely does not have T.C. working.

I ran across this older thread earlier when I searched the forum earlier tonight
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...+brake+ligh t
It talks about the battery and basically poor connections.... OR the e-brake cables need to be replacedbut that is definitely not my case as the e-brake cables look brand new, nor are they binding in any way.
My connections are good @ the battery and are clean, but I am going to check the battery voltage tomorrow in the day light.
I am going to check the voltage when the car is off & running and when under load(lights on, radio, a/c exc.....)
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
were are you located at in canada? your best bet is to take it to a shop not always a dealer but when your on the phone with the garages ask them if they can scan for abs/trac light codes as a lot of shop carry the genesys 3000 or 4000 which can also tell them which one it is
Old 09-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
welcome

and its not hard to tell which wheel bearing is going, if you do just have a broken wheel bearing and not the wires

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
Your best bet is to get your codes read so you have a starting point, otherwise you're likely to waste alot of time chasing ghosts. It sounds like the problem is electrical, and it'll probably end up being something very simple...and make you feel like an idiot if you waste alot of time on it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Check the fuse for the ABS/Traction control. Mine blew a few times and it set off the ABS, and brake light. And I had no other lights. The trac off light did not respond to the switch either.

The abs fuse is in the under the hood fuse box, and i believe its 20 amps... im not sure.

And plus, all of the warning lights are LEDs. So that they willl never burn out. lol
Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
mcinnesja
GX Member

Sorry it took so long to reply to my thread.
Wife finally got the codes read today
Only body code present was a U1000.(caused no etc light, and the park brake light and abs light to be on)
The garage says that the orange power wire to the ebcm has no power.

anyone know of a good spot to start looking for a short?
Im assuming the garage checked all the fuses, but I will double check them again this weekend when I get a chance to look @ the car
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
u1000 codes are fun. id almost recommend having the garage deal with it
Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
7502wh33ls
GX Member

7502wh33ls is on a distinguished road
so is there a wire connected to the hand break? just a thought mabey it is disconected. i know alot of other cars have those wires and if its not connected e break lights will come on.
7502wh33ls is offline   Reply With Quote