Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
sillygirl

Question gutting my sterio system out

well I'm ripping out all existing speakers and puting in a new CD player i would like to get a nice amp and 12" subs and some new front speekers....but were should i start at and whats some good brands...im a novas of coarse
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
p1mptress
I'm pretty much Awesome!

p1mptress is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to p1mptress
I have a pioneer cd deck that I love! Don't get Sony b/c all you'll have are problems. I bought Infinity speakers all around and they sound awesome. And I have a kenwood amp and kenwood speakers (12's) that are pretty loud.
p1mptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
telcart

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1mptress View Post
I have a pioneer cd deck that I love! Don't get Sony b/c all you'll have are problems. I bought Infinity speakers all around and they sound awesome. And I have a kenwood amp and kenwood speakers (12's) that are pretty loud.

I've had a Sony CDX-F7705X deck for like 4 years, it's been in 3 cars... one of which I totalled. Still works great!
But... Sony is not the best for car amplifiers and subwoofers.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
sillygirl

wow thanks

thanks you guys that helps allot
Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well For Mids Andhighs I Have To Say Arc Audio. And How Much Thump In The Trunk U Want Ryan Might Stil Have Some Subs Laying Around

Subs Id Go Diamond Audio Or Memphis
pimpalero2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pioneer is one of my favroite decks because they not only look good but, they are very easy to use. As far as interior speakers go I am a BIG fan of Polk Audio. They are easy on power handeling and have a very smooth tweeter. Subs prefer Audiobahn and amps I would go with Optidrive. You've got questions we got answers.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
QCmustang
GX Member

QCmustang is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSweat83 View Post
Pioneer is one of my favroite decks because they not only look good but, they are very easy to use. As far as interior speakers go I am a BIG fan of Polk Audio. They are easy on power handeling and have a very smooth tweeter. Subs prefer Audiobahn and amps I would go with Optidrive. You've got questions we got answers.

X2

i also like audiobahns EQ's and alpine mids and highs. also word of advice when it comes to power wire i would run no less then 4ga in my car, but if you plan on running some deicent power then dont skimp on the wire. i normally go to 0ga, might as well go big the first time insted of always upgrading.
soon to come . . .
Ford F150 5.8L 351W
1999 Olds 88.

President, Sykotic Concepts.
www.myspace.com/QCmustang

www.myspace.com/SykoticConcepts
QCmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
*Novice* sorry im the grammar/spelling nazi.

I say Alpine for great all-around audio.
I have type S in the front, type R in the back, and two 12in type R in the trunk. I loved their subs because they were quite versatile and a great value for what they offer. All subs are different from what i have heard... what helped me choose is i went to the local Best Buy and played around with their display stuff until i found what i liked. You should do that.. but dont buy from there check Ebay or etronics.com for GREAT prices. My 12er's were like, $109 each if i remember correctly.

I dont have an aftermarket HU though, but from my limited experience Pioneers have been great. Thats seen pretty unanimously in this thread so far as well.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzbear View Post
*Novice* sorry im the grammar/spelling nazi.
I am the same way, i was about to correct it. The other thread too.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
2.2l Monster
GX Member

2.2l Monster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 2.2l Monster
Infinity and JVC
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #11
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
*stereo system* too btw =-P
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
alerored04
GLS member

*novice. Sorry, cant help it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
I agree with everyone else. Pioneer is good stuff. but as for speakers, it depends on how much bank your willing to throw into it.

RyanfromOhio and soundxtreme are decent guys to talk to about what/how to set things up.

I started with Soundstream speakers in the back, infinity up front... and i'm soon moving to soundstream components upfront as well. I just really like those speakers. I'd say find a set you think is decent, and post up, asking what the specs are/mean. Someone will school you on it, and then you'll be a much better shopper knowing what your looking at.

I'm also sporting 2x10" fosgate HE2 ~1400W @ 4ohm. its decent loud. Nothing over bearing. (if you don't really have a clue what i just said... you got some reading/researching to do. )
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
I agree with everyone else. Pioneer is good stuff. but as for speakers, it depends on how much bank your willing to throw into it.

RyanfromOhio and soundxtreme are decent guys to talk to about what/how to set things up.

I started with Soundstream speakers in the back, infinity up front... and i'm soon moving to soundstream components upfront as well. I just really like those speakers. I'd say find a set you think is decent, and post up, asking what the specs are/mean. Someone will school you on it, and then you'll be a much better shopper knowing what your looking at.

I'm also sporting 2x10" fosgate HE2 ~1400W @ 4ohm. its decent loud. Nothing over bearing. (if you don't really have a clue what i just said... you got some reading/researching to do. )

i know what your talking about
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #15
trumpetplayer91372
GX Member

trumpetplayer91372 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to trumpetplayer91372
I have an Apline deck that I really like, but the new designs don't seem to look as good. I think some of the top HU are Eclipse, Alpine, and Pioneer. As for speakers, Infinity really does produce great sound. And when it comes to subs, i personally like the way JL Audio pounds, i just have a single 12W3 right now but that still hits hard.
trumpetplayer91372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
i have the same sony deck as pimptress use to have and havent had one problem yet
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #17
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Pioneer rocks for head units. I would say Infinity for subs, but i've had mine for just over a year and they just blew out. So i wouldn't recommend them anymore, probably go Alpine for them. For speakers if you don't have a ton of money to spend, Kickers sound really good for the price.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #18
alerored04
GLS member

i really like alpine HU's but like someone else said they are not as great as they used to be. Alpine subs are good too but there are better out there. For speakers i like infinity or boston, but those are kinda pricey.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
I piss on Audiobahn daily, see avatar if you have questions

It all depends on your price range. Whats appropriate for some may be way out of your price range.

So lets start with a budget and work from there.

If your not sure what piece to buy first heres my sugguestion from well over 10 years of doing this stuff.

HEAD UNIT. Start here
Front speakers
Sub/Sub Amp/Wiring- When buying wiring consider the next step!
* amp for front speakers. optional but HIGHLY recommended.

I tend to prefer JVC decks. I also like Pioneers, but higher end models. Panasonic makes good quality decks, but I think they are ugly. Alpine decks quality has slipped considerably in recent years. Clarion is just uber gayness, looks like a dog barfed on them. Same with Blaupunkt...

As far as interior speakers, fronts! I wouldnt bother with the rears. It actually makes the situation worse... Upgrade to 5.25" component. Theres many kits to choose from, so again depends on price range. Arc, Elevation, Focal, Morel, Rainbow, MB Quart, Cadence and many many more...

Amps: Well again highly subjective on price range. Its documented fact power is power. So you pay for name, build quality and features. Now a black eye is some brands over rate their stuff. So thats what you need to be careful on.

Bah, give us a budget chica!

Old 09-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #20
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post

Amps: Well again highly subjective on price range. Its documented fact power is power. So you pay for name, build quality and features. Now a black eye is some brands over rate their stuff. So thats what you need to be careful on

This is a bit missleading. There are many factors that determine the quality of the sound produced by your amp. To say it is documented that power equals power, you are way off target. Low frequencies, produced from a sub, have little affect from the quality of the amp. If you just want to power a sub, then go with a decent amp that fits the budget and powers the subs you choose. But if the mid and high range speakers are going to be powered by a amp, then quality is better. The higher the frequency, the more the sound will be affected by the amp. Your amp, by nature is a very dirty piece of harware. One major factor is the conversion from DC to AC and back to DC. This raises cost of the amp compared to a home audio system and hinders the company from placing more imphasis on the filtering. To build a amplifier is relatively easy. The difficulty comes in filtering the signal. This is where the cost of the amp scyrockets.
sillygirl, just remember that sound is very subjective. I can rattle on all day how good one product is over another. Some people may agree, while others disagree. As Ryan stated, you should make a budget and approach it with a list of personal priorities. First, what type of sound are you going for? Is the improvement of sound more important than the features a new deck will give you? And most important, what kind of music do you like. You may find that you choice of music will not warrant a new sub, but should have more imphasis on the lower mid range. Just for a example. If you listen to much rock or metal, a sub will have less impact on the sound (even the bass) than a good mid range speaker and amp. Once you have decided on the approach, you must also factor in the extra costs. Wires, fuses, a electrical upgrade if necessary, enclosure cost, and my favorite sound deadening. All these will cost a good chunck of your budget. this is why it is so important to know your expectations of the system. Let us know your music choices. It will help to know what part of the music you pick out. Do you like the low beats? Are vocals more important than the guitar lead? All these factors will help us to show where your money should be placed. Good luck on your choices and we look forward to hearing back from you. Mike Gettinger
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote