Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
knowledge8069
GX Member

knowledge8069 is an unknown quantity at this point
2.4 wants to stall when accelerating from complete stop

Hello all. A few days ago my 2.4 supercharged Alero was barely able to stay running. Got the plastic ignition cover replaced (white plastic housing which holds coils), now it idles perfectly. Unfortunately, it seems there may have been a second problem hiding underneath the first.

When I left the dealership, it ran like it should. No hesitation, heavy throttle from stops were not a problem. Three miles down the road, I came to a complete stop and tried to accelerate. The car started choking out, almost stalling completely. I got it home the next twenty miles, but at each stop it did the same thing.

Today I took it for a test drive. The car started normally, I could apply a good amount of throttle from a stop without problems in my driveway. I drove a mile down the road, came to a stop, tried to go and it started choking again. It was the same at each stop after.

So the problem is it seems to be choking out after stopping and trying to accelerate, but only once it heats up or has been driven a mile or two. The engine does not surge or do anything strange while idling.. In fact it sits almost perfectly at 800 RPMs during idle, no misses at all, no codes thrown. But once the throttle is down, it chokes for a second or three then surges to life and goes. It has never died totally where I had to restart the engine, but it seems very close to doing so.

I have found if i give it *barely* any throttle, it seems to not choke. On the other hand, the more I give it from a stop, the worse it acts. So basically more gas = more choking.

I drive 40 minutes every morning to work and I'm doubting its reliability at this point. I don't want to cause a 3-lane rush hour traffic pileup like I did two weeks ago so I could push it to the shoulder, lol. I am thinking it could be a number of things: fuel filter, fuel pump, air intake issue, bad sensor, bad ECU, bad load of gas.

Any ideas? As always, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by knowledge8069 : 09-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.
knowledge8069 is offline   Reply With Quote