Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
jjceo2ooo

Thumbs down

First let me start off buy saying great forum here!

Right now I own a 1993 Saturn SC2 DOHC 5spd 118000. Great little car. I am selling it and looking for something new. I have an Alero lined up it's a 2002 GL2 V6 58000 for $6000.

I am buying the car from someone I KNOW, they have had no problems with it. They also have been the only owner, they are giving me a deal. Now looking through here and reading reviews I am geting ready to NOT buy an Alero. There seems to be some very common expensive issues with this car, those that concern me most are:
Bearings and ABS wheelslip sensors
U and LIM gaskets *(I mean what is up with the car actually being built to defect?)*
Rack & Pinion and Pump problems

So, I think that I am a pretty good DIY guy. But I am buying this car on credit for about $200 a mo. Basically I want to know if all of you are happy with the Alero and how many of you have actually had these probs. Is it worth it?

I don't want to shell out thousands on a college budget for this car. But there is nothing left to buy. My criteria for a car was NEWer, V6, good looking, cheap, and reliable. It fits all but the latter.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
old saying is: cheap, reliable, fast.........pick two.

if you're a good DIY guy, the Alero might be the ticket for you. I know alot of owners seem to get decent enjoyment out of them.

yes, there are a couple common problems, but when you get into any specific "vehicle type" forum, there are always going to be a slew of similar problems crop up.

Personal perspective:

pro's:
1) inexpensive initial purchase vs. features.
2) mods are gaining in availability
3) looks sporty in stock attire

con's:
1) gas mileage not all that great (but still better than a full size 4x4)
2) manufacturer closed shop, so support will be dwindling in the future, and parts may be harder to get
3) can get smoked at the track by a car with a smaller engine at the same price range.
4) heavy car vs. small amount of HP (see "cons: item 1")

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
jjceo2ooo

I was just shocked initially by all of the problems. My Saturn is actually an R Title with a rebuilt transmission as well. I lucked out and haven't had any problems at all with it. I also had a 1990 Ford Probe and went through hell with rebuilt A/T problems. Ever since then I was kind of leary of cars that are well known to have certain problems.

I still have 2 weeks before I buy the car so I will be torn for awhile.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
The gasket problem is not for the average DIYer. Neither are other problems I've had. If you want reliability, I strongly suggest you look into the obvious - honda - for your answer.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Welcome. I own a 2002 GLS - ordered directly from the factory so I am its 1st and only owner - and have had very few problems after more than 42K miles. The 99-01 models seemed to have more issues than the later models due perhaps to Quality Control problems in the supply chain.

I've had a window regulator break on me (fixed under warranty), plug wires fail, and 1 bad rotor (just recently replaced). Plus mine and some others experienced the dash board top surface start to wrinkle. Purely a minor cosmetic issue for those of us who don't have the luxury of indoor parking during the hot summer months.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
welcome...i would suggest the alero. there are some people that have alot of problems with it and some people dont. I haven't had many problems at all with either one of my aleros. i only sold the first one for the second because i was at a point where i could get out of my other one and lower my monthly payments on a brand new one.
anyhow, for a nice cheap car...i would go for it.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I own an 04 GL and it has 30,000 miles and no issues so far...knock on MDF...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
I bought my 2000 Alero new. 95,000 miles so far. I'd buy it again. I've had to replace both bearings, one twice, and the gasket. And the brakes are notoriously bad. But if you're a DIYer that's a cheap and easy job. I female dog about it breaking, but the gasket was really the only major job, and that only cost me $200 'cause I got it goodwilled. It's always started, and never left me stranded. Well, aside for the broken spring, but that happened in my driveway, so technically I wasn't stranded, and I could drive very slowly back into the garage.
The only reason I wouldn't buy another one is I work for Chrysler now (so go buy a new Caliber instead!).
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Crolero

When i was shopping for a car, i wanted to stick with GM, have owned only GM. Once Olds was almost dead I wanted one last Olds. I have the v6 with no major problems. bought it with 27k and now have 41k. Gas milage isnt that bad, it has good power, could be more for that size of engine but Its ok. The cars that I ended up at the end was an alero and ga. I didnt like the interior of the GA so I went with the Alero. Would I buy another alero.....only if there was a newer version, but theres not. For that price I would get the alero.

Better than a saturn IMHO.

goodluck with your choice!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
uhm. my alero gets great mileage. =/ about 35 hwy loaded with people.
i read in some ad that the new camry got significantly less, in comparison.
and an alero is way better than a saturn anyway.. omg those things litter our shop.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
well, some of us have a heavier foot than others. I can just imagine me getting 35 per gallon....maybe inches.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by pawzbear@Jan 23 2006, 09:52 PM
uhm. my alero gets great mileage. =/ about 35 hwy loaded with people.
i read in some ad that the new camry got significantly less, in comparison.
according to fueleconomy.gov (epa site) an '02 alero w/ v6 owners are reproting ~20/29 mpg and 06 3.3 v6 camry owners are reporting ~21/29 mpg.

As for getting an alero. I'm kinda of the opinion of if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I also know what its like to want a newer car. When reading through this site you have to remember that its to help people with problems with there cars so it might seem like there are quite a few. this is true of most car specific forums. If you know and trust the person you are buying from (and are sure they took good care of the car) then its probably a good deal. most cars now will last well over 100K miles with simple PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a 4cyl... way, way fewer problems. Your hubs will go, pretty much gauranteed. Stock rotors suck, buy aftermarket ones. Other than that, they seem to hold up fairly well.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote