Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
redrider07
GX Member

redrider07 is on a distinguished road
Stock Airbox Screen????

Ok....could you cut out the screen inside the stock airbox to flow more air in the intake....or would is still be better to buy after market? I am asking because I would think the stock screen would restrict air flow?

I think I will either do that, or buy an after market intake along with the DHP PCM, and I am done with engine mods...since I don't race.

Later guys.
redrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
There is a screen inside the air box?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
redrider07
GX Member

Yeah..in my car there is a metal screen in front of my stock air filter that leads to the intake.....I want to cut in out...so it is a straight shot into the engine...or I will just get a cold air box from doctor speed?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
i would go with a CAI but you could make your own for way cheaper. My car didn't have a srceen in the air bow that i ever saw so i don't know anything about it man.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you mean the screen in the MAF? i didnt see a screen in the stock airbox when i took mine out

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #6
white04alero
GL Member

white04alero has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i think hes talking about the screen that comes on the air filter.. mine comes with one but i always thought that it was for rigidity.. so it would stay put and not move around.. the screen on the airfilters that i buy arent really restrictive at all.. they have huge ass holes in them.. i dont know what filter you are talking about if you cut that screen out, there will be very minimal power gains (>.01 hp) haha if there even is a power gain.. if you want more of a power gain get cai or wai..
- pioneer 4900iB head unit
white04alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Frostbite545
GL Member

Frostbite545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Frostbite545
Yeah thats like not even worth it... I suggest the CAI or WAI depending on what you want. Its not that expensive, you get 4-6 HP (possibly) and it sounds nice
- General Exclaim UHP Tires
- 2 1/2" Pacesetter Exhaust
- S&S Headers

Last edited by Frostbite545 : 06-29-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: My grammar sux
Frostbite545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah...listen to frost,white,balls

Get a CAI sometimes as cheap as 30 or 40 bux

Last edited by AGT : 06-29-2007 at 05:13 PM.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

If its the expanded metal screen on the filter its not worth the time. Like white04alero said its just for rigidity so the filter keeps its form.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
redrider07
GX Member

Ok, thanks guys for your opinion! I will get either a WAI or CAI. I am seriously considering the Doctor Speed Cold Air Box....easier to install and I think it would be better for torque than a straight up CAI.....your opinions?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
Yeah...listen to frost,white,balls

LOL thats almost frosty white balls . God i get amused very easy!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider07 View Post
Ok, thanks guys for your opinion! I will get either a WAI or CAI. I am seriously considering the Doctor Speed Cold Air Box....easier to install and I think it would be better for torque than a straight up CAI.....your opinions?
the doctor speed cold air box is probably worse then a custom made CAI, simply beacause the box still sits in the engine bay and i would assume somehow the hot air would get inside the box one way or another. with a CAI the filter sits in wheel well, although the pipe running from the UIM to the filter in the wheel well would get hot since its also in the engine bay, but i think you would be better off paying 40$ for a CAI off ebay then waste $200 on doctor speed cold air crap

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
redrider07
GX Member

Yeah, a CAI would be better all around, but it is harder to install, and harder to clean! Also, I want more low end torque....not top end horsepower....so it is kind of a trade off. That is why I went with the Cold Air Box instead of the CAI....it will at least flow more air than the stock air-box!