TurboAleroGT40
GX Member

TurboAleroGT40 is on a distinguished road
Damnn BlackJack damn.
TurboAleroGT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #102
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
Is the outlet of the turbo 85mm?

I didn't know you were running stock heads on that motor.

no, the heads are a good deal away from being stock:
full race port and polish (hate to call it this, but Stage 3 at least)
SI valves
Manley LS6 valve springs
titanium retainers/locks

turbo is a T70, .83 AR will flow enough to support 800hp.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #103
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
800hp that all, how weak........
Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #104
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
800hp that all, how weak........

Heh, when I get to the point where I need more, I'll upgrade

Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #105
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
haha, same here, i have already thought about if the 1600ax whipple isn't big enough......haha maybe a 2300ax would be nice, or take the 1600 to a lightning shop and have the hell ported out of it...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #106
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Who calls that stage 3? The combustion chambers are 100% stock.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #107
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
no, the heads are a good deal away from being stock:
full race port and polish (hate to call it this, but Stage 3 at least)
SI valves
Manley LS6 valve springs
titanium retainers/locks

turbo is a T70, .83 AR will flow enough to support 800hp.

Quote:
Who calls that stage 3? The combustion chambers are 100% stock.
I call it a stage 3 just like I said. Not to be insulting but lets try reading that again. I said the port and polish was stage three, meaning the intake runners up to the valves. I said nothing about shaping or even cc'ing the combustion chambers which is a totally different process. I don't want to lose what baseline compression I have so I opted to leave the combustion chambers alone so I didn't have to mill the deck to get my compression back up, and didn't want to get into custom pistons yet. I'm trying to see little by little how much power I can develop without going into a fully forged bottom end. I'll work more into everything if I'm still interested in it by the time I get back from Iraq next year.

When you're dealing with a turbo that's intended to use all it's legs on the top end instead of blow your wad at mid range, you need all the power you can get at low end without sacrificing the top end.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:37 AM   #108
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Totally different process? I port for a living and I have done an incredible amount of research on those heads you are using. I am telling you right now, the compression loss you anticipate is worthless compared to the flow and combustion efficiency you get from completing the porting process. Your turbo can make up for flow but not efficiency in the cylinder.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #109
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Totally different process? I port for a living and I have done an incredible amount of research on those heads you are using. I am telling you right now, the compression loss you anticipate is worthless compared to the flow and combustion efficiency you get from completing the porting process. Your turbo can make up for flow but not efficiency in the cylinder.

you may do it for a living, but I have no idea where you got your terminology. I've been dealing with performance engines of all sorts for over 20 years, and though only the last couple of years were dealing with the 3400, everywhere else, the term for port and polish was for intake plenums and runners (intake and head). Separately, when dealing with combustion chambers and cylinder flow efficiency it is called shaping, and further, CC'ing to ensure you have the same cylinder volume. The terminology is really irrelevant. The heads have good work done to them for what I want and what I intended to spend, and have good hardware on them. Trust me, I'm painfully aware of where improvements can be made. Hell, I'm even running stock head bolts instead of ARP studs that I'd rather have, but I have a set budget that I choose to work with and chose the best combination of components and work to get where I want to be right now.

Now, I know you're supposed to be one of the 3400 gurus, but if you're trying to attract my business, I can only say that your approach is less than enticing. However, if you're looking to impress the noobs, have at it. I'm where I want to be for the money I want to spend at the moment.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #110
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

I am trying to help you improve your setup and you accuse me of trying to sell something? I will stop trying to help then. I don't need people getting the wrong idea about my posts.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #111
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't mind you trying to help, and I know my setup isn't as good as it could be.

However, when you step out first thing challenging what I say or claim, I can only assume (rightfully) that you are trying to do one of two things. 1) Either bring discredit to my work, or 2) trying to pump up your own image.

A statement like "who said those are stage 3" sounds very much like an attack and an attempt to discredit which I'm not really inclined to entertain.

I've heard good things about your work, and I haven't generally heard anything bad about your character.....yet.

If you have the time, money and skills to make better things than what I'm content with, I'm happy for you. But please don't go bashing us poor folk who aren't as good as you.

Who knows, if you're still in business by the time I get back from the "sand-box" this go 'round, and I'm still interested in this money pit, I'll probably end up buying some of your nice products.

If I had the wrong idea, I'm sorry, but I can only blame your verbage for the way I take it.

Keep doing great things for the 60 degree community, Ben.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #112
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Me and WhiteV6 made up. I was being an arrogant prick and he was trying to be helpful. Apologies were issued for taking it the wrong way and I now have a hot date with WOT-Tech when I get back from Iraq

-Peace-

Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #113
mattamd_xp
GX Member

mattamd_xp is on a distinguished road
I can't wait to see what the two of you can put together working on the same project
mattamd_xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #114
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Just a small update on the compression loss when you modify the combustion chamber. Stock is 28.6cc. With my street/strip chamber and SI valves (like you have now) gives 28.4cc. SI valves take up more room in the chamber due to the thicker margins. I haven't milled the heads yet to CC them afterwards but you can increase compression slightly and have better flow
Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #115
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

street/strip sounds cool......do you have a different version for more strip than street (but some street)

Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #116
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Sure, I do custom porting. The street, street/strip, and race/boost are just 3 of the most popular type setups.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #117
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I'll have to hit you up with a price when I get back. Going to be looking for a race/boost setup, but I already have valves/springs/hardware.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #118
tejohnson
GX Member

tejohnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike,

Are you just trying to be like me? I swear Surprised I have not heard from you. You could always just buy my short block ya know

Todd E. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------
13.475 @ 108.43

| Updates/Pictures/Video |

For Sale in pieces: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am
tejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #119
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Calling you in about 5 minutes.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #120
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
hey blackjack how hard was the 4t65 swap ? is there a write up on it ?

thanks

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote