Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Blueolds
GX Member

Blueolds is on a distinguished road
Cars acting up

So heres what it's doing, Sometimes when i drive the car it sticks in first gear for a couple seconds like about 5 seconds it only does this when i havent driven the car for a while say an hour but after the initial sticking it drives fine. Any ideas. Its done it bad once before about six months ago but it never did it again.
Blueolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Change the tranny fluid and filter
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Blueolds
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
Change the tranny fluid and filter

How much would a shop charge to do this?

I know sometimes doing a tranny flush can make the problem worse, i have 82,000 miles you think i'll be fine. I dont have a job so i cant have the ho crap out on me.

Last edited by Blueolds : 08-02-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
3500Alero
GX Member

3500Alero is on a distinguished road
make sure the shop reuses the existing trans gasket if its not leaking because it is steel/rubber and reuseable. I have had problems with the rubber one leaking that come with the kit.
1993 c1500 turbo 3100 swap 5psi.
1976 Cutlass 350 olds stock for now
3500Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
a flush makes it worse. simply changing the fluid/filter doesn't.

normally runs ~100
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500Alero View Post
make sure the shop reuses the existing trans gasket if its not leaking because it is steel/rubber and reuseable. I have had problems with the rubber one leaking that come with the kit.

Thats correct, reuse the old gasket, its 10x better than the aftermarket replacements. It makes for a real easy DIY too, filter kit runs under $20, transmission fluid runs about 12$ for a gallon (you need 2 gallons) so thats about $45 in material total if you DIY. Otherwise, if you goto a shop you'll pay $50 in labor in addition to the materials, and pay the $100 or so that cherry indicated.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Psyfox
GX Member

Psyfox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
Thats correct, reuse the old gasket, its 10x better than the aftermarket replacements. It makes for a real easy DIY too, filter kit runs under $20, transmission fluid runs about 12$ for a gallon (you need 2 gallons) so thats about $45 in material total if you DIY. Otherwise, if you goto a shop you'll pay $50 in labor in addition to the materials, and pay the $100 or so that cherry indicated.

That is correct. It could range anywhere from $100-$120 if you need to drop the pan for a fluid and filter change. Personally, I did it myself, took me about 2 hours and well worth it...ended up saving a lot of money and now I know how to change trans fluid, lol.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Psyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Blueolds
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfox View Post
That is correct. It could range anywhere from $100-$120 if you need to drop the pan for a fluid and filter change. Personally, I did it myself, took me about 2 hours and well worth it...ended up saving a lot of money and now I know how to change trans fluid, lol.

I'd do it myself but i dont have any thing to get the car in the air, or keep it there.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Blueolds
GX Member

I got a quote from a shop for 175 thats probly the best i'll get here in rich prick town.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Blueolds
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
a flush makes it worse. simply changing the fluid/filter doesn't.

normally runs ~100

Excuse my noob question but whats the difference, Man my auto tech teacher must be dumb he never told us the difference between a flush and a change.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
CactusWill
GLS member

A flush is where you hook a machine up to the transmission fluid lines and run new fluid into one end as the old fluid comes out the other end. About 20 quarts of transmission fluid later, your transmission has completely new fluid and is in complete shock, all the old contaminants are stirred up and the old filter remains because it was not replaced. Flushes often end up in the destruction of the transmission on older, higher mileage cars.

Doing the transmission filter is simply removing the transmission pan, 1-2 gallons of fluid drains out, replacing the filter with a new one and replacing the pan after cleaning it. Then replacing the lost fluid. That way you have a new filter, and the fluid overall ends up being only partially new which is exactly how you want it, that way it doesn't shock the transmission.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Blueolds
GX Member

Quote:
A flush is where you hook a machine up to the transmission fluid lines and run new fluid into one end as the old fluid comes out the other end. About 20 quarts of transmission fluid later, your transmission has completely new fluid and is in complete shock, all the old contaminants are stirred up and the old filter remains because it was not replaced. Flushes often end up in the destruction of the transmission on older, higher mileage cars.

Doing the transmission filter is simply removing the transmission pan, 1-2 gallons of fluid drains out, replacing the filter with a new one and replacing the pan after cleaning it. Then replacing the lost fluid. That way you have a new filter, and the fluid overall ends up being only partially new which is exactly how you want it, that way it doesn't shock the transmission.

The shop gave me a quote and on it says their chargeing me to replace the filter so i guess their doing a change and not a flush.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
CactusWill
GLS member

Yeah well 175 is a rip off, forget about it. You can find better deals than that in any city in the world.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
Blueolds
GX Member

Quote:
Yeah well 175 is a rip off, forget about it. You can find better deals than that in any city in the world.

It's the only place i know in town besides firestone and they always try to screw me.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
CactusWill
GLS member

Do it yourself then. You can get a jack kit with stands for 30-50 dollars, a good sized drain pan for around 10 or so, and the fluid and filter kit for another 45. You'll do a better job for half the price.