Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
over torque or wheel bearing

very very loud growl from 5mph to any speed sound changes with speed it sounds just like wheel bearing but it doesnt change when you turn side to side. im worried the shop that just changed my struts maybe over torqued my lug nuts because, i have brand new brakes, they are perfect now with this noise i see huge gouges in my rotors wierd substance all over my front rims and my car feels very slugish like it can slow down on its own without braking do you think they are over torqued? if so how am i gunna prove this to the shop so i dont have to pay for my damn brakes?
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Well, you can either keep driving on it or you can jack the car up and take a look in there.
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Sounds more like seized caliper slide pin. Take it back to the shop and let them look at it. If something is causing a gouge in your rotor its not because your lug nut are over torqued.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
irondiezl3
GLS member

can i fix that myself like take them out clean and lube them or when that happens do you have to replace the calipers?
Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on how bad the slide pin is. If the little boot on it has ripped and has gotten water in there it could be rusted in solid. You wont know till you pull it off though.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
irondiezl3
GLS member

is that normal for both to just do this out of nowhere? how does my car still brake so well if this is the problem? maybe the rear brakes are kicking in?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
um, sticking, got any odd smells, kinda like an electrical fire?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
irondiezl3
GLS member

no smells at all no brake lights just very loud howl and get louder and softer with speed and it kinda feels like the cars dragging a little just started out of nowhere and ges a little louder every day brake fluid still full car brakes good pedal is a little spongy prolly normal still though but the wierd thing is the wierd color junk on my rims so fast it comes on and the straky lines if you will on my brand new rotors that were had no marks before this noise?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Get a picture of everything.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
I've had to replace my wheel bearings multiple times and your situation sounds akin to every instance a bearing change is due. I'm no wizard, but logically: a wheel bearing is a lubed up component that involved in the spinning of the wheel itself. From my understanding, what makes them go bad is dirt and wear that gunks up the lube and they begin to grind with nothing to slick it up efficiently. What I mean to say with all that is your car will slow itself down minorly without brakes applied because the wheel is not being allowed to spin as efficiently.

Someone correct me if I am in left field but every time I've had my bearings replaced the car rides smoother, faster and quieter. Just saying.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
irondiezl3
GLS member

xander ur right went to dealer its the front bearing passanger im gunna change both to be safe whats a good brand is sfk any good? is this really hard to do myself?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
They do usually go out close to the same time so replacing them both could possibly be a good idea...but then again...if it isn't broke, why fix it? I have learned that the type of bearing they use for our Aleros has a tendency to go bad very often. What I did was bought a brand with a lifetime warranty so I paid $175 the first time and only $40 the second and third time.

But I'm no mechanic. Only a dabbler. And definitely happy to be on for once hahaha.