Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Upstream o2 and other issues.

Alright, so I have a few things I'm wondering whats going on and how to take care of it.

First off my alero is a 2.4

I threw a code about a month and a half ago saying that the upstream o2 was bad.

I changed it and the code cleared, then it came back on randomly while driving, and then went off after about 75 miles, then 75 miles later it came back, and basically it keeps doing that.

Even when I did have the code though I was not getting bad MPG. I still am averaging about 245+ miles on city driving.

So what should I do?

Also here are some other issues:

1. The rubber piece that holds a tube of my WAI to another tube is rubbing up against the positive bolt from the battery. It is slowly melting into the rubber, but I have no current way to prop up the filter or tube to get it to not rest on it. I feel as if over a period of time it is slowly pulling the bolt out of the battery.

2. My driveway is an incline because I live in the suburbs. I always back up into the spot so the nose of the car is facing the street. Sometimes when the car is in park on an incline the idle will start dropping but then jump back up and keep doing it. When I put it into any other gear, such as drive, and take off it is perfectly fine.

3. In park when I turn the wheel to the left or right the RPM's drop down to about 200 and the lights dim but then it goes back to normal 500 rpm idle.

4. In the back of the car when listening to it, the muffler sounds as if something is boiling in there. You can hear something bubbling.

5. Sometimes when I go to start the car it won't "catch" like it will start up and then immediately die, but if I give it some gas it will stay on and idle normal and be all good to go.

6. Basically when I do something with using power the idle drops down to 200 and lights dim, but then it goes back to normal. I.e. hitting the rear defrost, or turning the ac or heat all the way up.

My own thoughts:

-Maybe bad alternator?
-Bad hub?
-Wiring issue for the o2?

Any help appreciated, thank you.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Chris,
To ME the bubbling sound in the exhaust sounds like you might have some condensation staying in the muffler. Are you sure it is not a "clanking" sound, kinda like maybe a faulty catalytic converter? If you need anything, let me know.
-Smurf-
Old 04-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
Alright, so I have a few things I'm wondering whats going on and how to take care of it.

First off my alero is a 2.4

I threw a code about a month and a half ago saying that the upstream o2 was bad.

I changed it and the code cleared, then it came back on randomly while driving, and then went off after about 75 miles, then 75 miles later it came back, and basically it keeps doing that.

Even when I did have the code though I was not getting bad MPG. I still am averaging about 245+ miles on city driving.

So what should I do?

Also here are some other issues:

1. The rubber piece that holds a tube of my WAI to another tube is rubbing up against the positive bolt from the battery. It is slowly melting into the rubber, but I have no current way to prop up the filter or tube to get it to not rest on it. I feel as if over a period of time it is slowly pulling the bolt out of the battery.

2. My driveway is an incline because I live in the suburbs. I always back up into the spot so the nose of the car is facing the street. Sometimes when the car is in park on an incline the idle will start dropping but then jump back up and keep doing it. When I put it into any other gear, such as drive, and take off it is perfectly fine.

3. In park when I turn the wheel to the left or right the RPM's drop down to about 200 and the lights dim but then it goes back to normal 500 rpm idle.

4. In the back of the car when listening to it, the muffler sounds as if something is boiling in there. You can hear something bubbling.

5. Sometimes when I go to start the car it won't "catch" like it will start up and then immediately die, but if I give it some gas it will stay on and idle normal and be all good to go.

6. Basically when I do something with using power the idle drops down to 200 and lights dim, but then it goes back to normal. I.e. hitting the rear defrost, or turning the ac or heat all the way up.

My own thoughts:

-Maybe bad alternator?
-Bad hub?
-Wiring issue for the o2?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

1. it won't pull the bolt out. it will wear a hole in the silicone. make a bracket to hold the filter up.

2. is the gas tank full or low?

3 & 6. either you need a new belt or it could be the alternator. take the alt off and go have it checked.

4. it could be loose material in the muffler
Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Chris2000
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
1. it won't pull the bolt out. it will wear a hole in the silicone. make a bracket to hold the filter up.

2. is the gas tank full or low?

3 & 6. either you need a new belt or it could be the alternator. take the alt off and go have it checked.

4. it could be loose material in the muffler

1. Ok so leaving the intake where its at is fine?

2. It does it at any level, but occurs more when I'm under a half, and more under a 1/4

3/6 Just had a new serp. gator belt put on in the last 3 months. Could possibly be the alt. Just a couple bolts to have it removed? After 10 years, with a few years of sitting I could see the alternator going.

4. What could I do to fix this issue? The car seems to be louder than it was when I first got it. The sound is still pleasing but I liked it a lot more when I first picked it up.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Chris2000
GL Member

bump anything?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
my muffler did the bubbling sound too, and i'd get alot of water out of the back when idling, i thought it was normal.

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote