Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
None Of My Lights Work?

none of my instrument lights work? out of nowhere my radio works guages work everything works just not the lights? how does that happen i cannot find a blown fuse anywhere? idk how to fix this any ideas?
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
most likely passanger fuse box, top right fuse.

could also be under the hood...
Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
irondiezl3
GLS member

i changed the instrument light fuse and interior light fuse still nothing. my interior lights work just not my shifter, gueges, doors, radio. im pretty sure the instrument light fuse is the fuse for them and i changed it. its gotta be a fuse somewhere right?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
check ur dimmer switch...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
irondiezl3
GLS member

wow what the hell i went to autozone and advance both clueless we were alll looking at everything my sevice vehicle light came on out of nowhere owners manual says thats the drl fuse or relay checked them both were normal. both stores were baffled we tried everthing then at the ver last moment i said hmm for the hell of it lets just start pulling random fuses out even if they were nothing to do with lights sure enough bam horn fuse under the hood was poped so i replced it wouldnt you know the damn lights work again. how wierd is that? honestly no surprise this car has always done random wierd things maybe thats just gm for ya though
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Quote:
Originally Posted by irondiezl3 View Post
wow what the hell i went to autozone and advance both clueless we were alll looking at everything my sevice vehicle light came on out of nowhere owners manual says thats the drl fuse or relay checked them both were normal. both stores were baffled we tried everthing then at the ver last moment i said hmm for the hell of it lets just start pulling random fuses out even if they were nothing to do with lights sure enough bam horn fuse under the hood was poped so i replced it wouldnt you know the damn lights work again. how wierd is that? honestly no surprise this car has always done random wierd things maybe thats just gm for ya though

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa???
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Rubiks43
GX Member

Rubiks43 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rubiks43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa???

key point...

he went to get it fixed they tried helping but there dumb....

so he did it himself and found out it was a fuse....

and now no more prob

any help with my car i will look in on and love!
Rubiks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
irondiezl3
GLS member

lol basically yea and im dumb to for not using punctuation on that paragraph.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
FamousFresh
GX Member

FamousFresh is on a distinguished road
i had the same problem but none of my fuses were blown

so i got flustrated and ordered some leds and im goin to wire them up

besides its gonna look a hell of alot better
FamousFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousFresh View Post
i had the same problem but none of my fuses were blown

so i got flustrated and ordered some leds and im goin to wire them up

besides its gonna look a hell of alot better

dimmer wheel is broken.. i know it
Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
irondiezl3
GLS member

speaking of that i need a new dimmer wheel i was gunna just change out the entire vent was wondering if there a way take it out without taking the entire dash apart?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
the vent pops out then un plug the dimmer switch and i believe there is two tabs holding it in. just pry them up with a screwdriver and it pulls right out.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
kingjames64
GX Member

kingjames64 is on a distinguished road
i had the same problem for the last 8 months and just fixed it last night!

After trying everything, like replacing the fuses, buying gauge covers, and asking thousands of questions i started reading up on how our cars are wired up. My Gauges, hvac control, shifter area, and doors messed up when i was installing an after market cd player. I knew it wasnt my dimmer wheel for sure because i had replace it and using a test light evrything had power on it. I found out the gray wire, at least in the 2000 4 door v6 model, gives all of these lights power.

I pulled out my gauge the i cut the gray wire that plugs into it and i noticed the gray wire behind the hvac control wasnt plugged into anything. I ran them to a fuse and they turned on! However i wanted to be able to control them with my dimmer switch. So I then pulled out my dimmer control and after studying the wiring diagram saw that the green wire was the power out for the dimmer control. I testd the wire saw that is was hot so i ran both of the gray wires to this wire and BINGO! dimmer now controls all the lights.

Last edited by kingjames64 : 01-11-2010 at 12:50 AM.
kingjames64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
kingjames64
GX Member

kingjames64 is on a distinguished road
My friend had the same problem and he was charge $150 to get it fixed in his truck. My total cost about $2
kingjames64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
ok, i'm having this problem right now. Like the others, I tried all the fuses and they are all good.

What gray wire are you talking about? Is it running straight into the gauge cluster pack of wiring?

edit:

Figured it out myself. It is the gray wire that runs into the cluster pack. I just ran a quick splice from the gray wire to the green wire on the dimmer control, and solved my problems!

Done lost my mind

Last edited by jhubbz : 10-07-2011 at 03:56 PM.
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
i horn fuse popped a while back and screw with all my radio stuff... it was messed up.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
i horn fuse popped a while back and screw with all my radio stuff... it was messed up.

Done lost my mind
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #18
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Ok, so update on this. And I apologize for the ginormous schematics, but I figure some people will enjoy having this large and easy to read.

Just heads up, pretty much everything in my car is LED lit.

Everything still works awesome, but for some reason whenever I use my dimmer control and dim it down I start smelling a slight electrical burn, so I quit messing with it. I thought it may have been a splice I made from the cubby hole light so I could run my vent lights, but after looking over this interior lighting schematic, I realized why I was smelling burning.

Interior Lighting Schematic:

Cluster Schematic:

Keep in mind, I spliced a single hot wire from the dark green wire (that runs from the panel dimmer switch to the dimmer control module) to the gray illumination wire for the cluster, since for some reason all my interior illumination died on me.

Anyway, my theory is, since that hot wire lands in the middle between the switch and the control module, the illumination is being fed constant power, while the module is trying to dim it, but can't since that power hasn't hit the module yet.

When I get a chance I'm going to run that hot wire from the yellow power since that hasn't even hit the switch yet.

For everyone that's wondering, I got these from the power library from this thread: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19347

Done lost my mind
Old 11-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Fixed. I ran the a wire from the yellow on the dimmer control to the gray on the gauge cluster pack, now all my interior lights run at full brightness all the time, altho i do not have the capability to dim them (not that i ever did anyway).

Also, I am still able to turn on and off the dome lights with the switch since they are on a separate line.

Done lost my mind